9. I'd Rather Make Out With a Dog

Chapter 9: I'd Rather Make Out With a Dog

Greyson’s Point of View

I strolled over to greet Brennan at her locker. I felt really guilty that I was supposed to be her best friend, but I wasn’t there when she needed me. I still don’t have a clear picture of what happened with Sterling either. It seemed like we hadn’t talked in weeks, when in fact it had only been two days. How could so much happen in such a short amount of time?

She was still digging through her locker when I reached her, so I casually leaned against the locker next to hers. She straightened up almost immediately when I got there and quickly glanced in my direction. I saw a weird look in her sapphire eyes, but it went away immediately once they met mine.

“Oh, it’s you, Grey. I feel like we haven’t talked in ages!” Bren told me, her usual bubbly self.

“Yeah, I forgot to bring my phone with me on Saturday. I’m sorry about that,” I apologized as she grabbed one more textbook out of her locker and shut it. “Then my phone was taken away when I got grounded.

“It is okay, Grey. It isn’t like you purposely ignored me. You’re grounded too? What for?” Bren asked me with a look of surprise.

“Stupid stuff,” I said with a shrug of my shoulders.  I really did not want to explain what Sterling and I had been fighting about.

She chuckled and with a shake of her head muttered, “There must be something in the water.”

“Maybe.” I laughed and then something she had said earlier clicked in my mind. “What did you mean when you said ‘It’s just you’? Were you expecting someone else?”

“Not really. You just scared me,” she answered, but her eyes avoided mine, a typical thing for Bren to do when she’s lying. I decided to leave it be for now and instead held out my arms to take her load of books.

“What are you doing?” She looked at my outstretched arms, obviously not understanding what I was trying to do.

“I’m going to carry your books,” I explained as I rolled my eyes at her obliviousness. Bren may be a genius when it comes to school, but she is still definitely a blonde.  

“Oh, okay,” she said after a moment’s hesitation and handed over the stack of books.

We made our way down the hall in a comfortable silence.  I didn’t really want to break it, but I knew I should. I had to know how much of what Sterling told me was true. He had a knack for twisting things to make them seem so much worse than they actually were.  Not to mention his uncanny ability to make things up on the spot.

“So what happened on Saturday—you know that you wanted to talk to me about?” I said as casually as I could muster.

She twisted a strand of her golden hair in her fingers like she always did when she was nervous.  “Well, I don’t think I can really explain it all right now. It’s kinda a long story. I’ll fill you in later, ‘kay?”

“Alright, but I’m holding you to that,” I agreed with a lopsided grin as we reached her class.

“You don’t trust my word, Grey?” She asked with a smirk. A smirk that made her look unbelievably hot and caused my mouth go dry. I was still fumbling for a response when she just smiled, grabbed her books, and wordlessly sauntered through the door without a glance back.

“Pull it together, Hayes,” I muttered to myself as I ran a hand through my hair.

I just stood there awkwardly in the hallway for a moment before heading to my first class, English. I walked through the doorway and plopped down in my normal desk. It was still early, so only a couple other people were there and it was rather quiet. I liked it though; it left me to my thoughts.