30. I Love You

Chapter 30: I Love You

Sterling's Point of View

A sort of brotherly pride spread through me when I saw Grey walk past me with Grace. It was a little odd considering Grace and I were pretty good friends, and she was with my brother, but I was with his best friend too. Fate was weird like that sometimes, I guess.

“They’re so cute together.” Bren leaned against me, placing her head on my chest, and I wrapped an arm around her waist as we continued to walk down the hallway.

“They are.” I kissed the top of her head. “But we’re cuter.”

She laughed. “You’re damn right we are.”

I smiled as I led her through the door to Calculus. As we sat down, I noticed her smile had faded slightly.

“Something wrong?”

“I don’t think so. I just have a favor to ask you.” She didn’t look at me, but instead focused on her fingers that were playing with the hem of her light green shirt. For once she wasn’t wearing one of my sweatshirts, but an unzipped grey zip-up of her own. The slight rips in her jeans taunted me, showing only slivers of her slender legs inside.

“Anything for you, Beautiful.” I winked, and she blushed slightly. It was a reaction from her I never failed to enjoy.

“I talked to Lia again…” She was now playing with her hands instead.

“And?” I prodded.

“She invited me to have dinner with her and her husband.” Her eyes met mine. “Will you come with me?”

“Of course.” I covered her still fidgeting hands with my own. “When are we doing this?”

“Tonight, actually. I’m supposed to be there at five.”

“Then I’ll pick you up at quarter to.” My lips curved as I watched her smile.

“Thanks.” She leaned forward to kiss me, but stopped when Mrs. Stevenson cleared her throat. She bit her bottom lip, looking up at me with a twinkle in her eye. “I guess I’ll thank you later.”

“I’ll be looking forward to it.”

Someone gagged from behind us. Bren swiveled in her chair and shot Carson a dirty look. He pointed at Gordon who held his hands up in an act of innocence. I chuckled, and Bren rolled her eyes as she turned back around, her arms crossed. But I saw the corner of her lips curved upward ever so slightly.

***

The rest of the day went by rather quickly for me, but I’m sure the opposite was true for Bren. She had enough issues with Grey and her dad without the stress of her mother coming unexpectedly back into her life. At least she had made up with her Dad and Grey now. I had understood why she had been mad at my brother, even if she did overreact a little bit. To feel split in-between your boyfriend or girlfriend and your best friend had to be a rough place to be. Add in other drama and everything was bound to explode at some point.

When I arrived at her house, I parked and knocked at the door—I was doing anything and everything to remain on Mr. Shaw’s good side. Bren was upstairs still, so I went to see if she was almost ready. I opened the door to find her lying stomach down on the bed, a book propped open in front of her. She brought her head up to look at me, her eyes wide.

“It’s that late already?” I nodded, and she marked her page before standing up from the bed. “Does this look okay? Maybe I should wear a different shirt. And these shoes don’t go at all. How’s my hair? What about—”