25. I'll Surprise You

Chapter 25: I'll Surprise You

Greyson’s Point of View

I had thought Grace would be mad at me when Sterling walked in on us, but she really wasn’t. She was already laughing about it by the time we reached her car. The image of her leaned up against her red bug, those twinkling brown eyes looking up at me, couldn’t seem to be erased from my mind. Now I just had to figure out what we were going to do on Friday. I had gotten to know Grace pretty well, but there was so much I didn’t know. I basically had no clue as to what she liked to do besides read and that wasn’t going to be very helpful at all. It was only Tuesday, though. I had plenty of time to think about it.

During English, I sat by Grace the whole time. We talked a little bit, but she was pretty intent to write down everything Mr. Johnson said. You would think that her being so focused on the lesson would make me pay attention by lack of nothing better to do, but that wasn’t the case. Instead, I found myself watching her. Her little hand would move in a repetitive circular motion as it scurried across the page, a sliver of her tongue would escape the barrier of her pink lips in an act of concentration. Once in a while, she’d catch my eye, and she’d send me a shy smile. It was something so silly and mundane, but I was memorized by her every move.

The bell rang, and we said a quick goodbye before I headed off to my second class. I spent the rest of the day in a sort of daze. I saw and heard what was going on around me, but nothing seemed to quite sink in. It was almost like I was surrounded by glass, and no matter how hard I tried to snap out of it, I wasn’t able to.

Then lunch came around, and Grace was already at my table when I went to sit down. Everything was clear once more.

She was wearing dark skinny jeans and a green zip up over a white t-shirt. Her fiery locks were down and flowed around her shoulders.

Grace didn’t notice me at first as she was busy talking with Sterling and Bren, but when she did, she gave me a large grin. “Hey.”

“Hey.” I returned the smile.

“So, do you have any ideas for Friday, yet?” she asked.

“Honestly, I have no idea because someone didn’t tell me what they like to do.”

She rolled her eyes. “How ‘bout we just watch a movie or something. I’m a pretty simple girl.”

I cocked an eyebrow. “No girl is simple. It goes against the laws of nature.” She shoved my shoulder, and I laughed. “But that sounds good. What do you wanna go see?”

“Actually,” she tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear, “I meant at my house. We have, like, a gazillion movies.”

“Sure. Whatever you want to do is fine with me.”

She smiled, and I couldn’t help but to smile too.

***

The next few days went by rather quickly. I barely saw Bren at all besides during school, and Sterling was usually distracting her then anyway. She was never really able to come to my house—her dad’s new rules made sure of that. Bren had told me all that had happened, and I couldn’t believe how cool her dad seemed to be with everything. It was almost as if he was telling them to sleep with each other. But it all made sense now. Frankly, Mr. Shaw was a smart man. He knew he wouldn’t be able to stop them from seeing each other, but with his rules, he could control the situation. He made it to where although they could see each other, they wouldn’t be able to do much at all—which was probably his goal all along.