5. What are you a Care Bear?

Chapter 5: What are you a Care Bear?

Greyson's Point of View

I woke up from what felt like a feather tickling my nose. I opened my eyes and all I saw was Bren’s golden hair.  I grinned at this and wrapped my arm tighter around her slender waist.  Bren responded by rolling to face me and snuggling into my bare chest. I could see that she was still sound asleep, but I couldn’t help enjoying her reaction anyway.

I studied her peaceful face. Her ocean blue eyes were covered, but I noticed how long her blonde eyelashes were. Her nose was just the right size, although it was slightly crooked from the time I accidently pegged her with a baseball when we were eight. My eyes travelled down to her plump pink lips and I wondered if they were as soft as they looked. I had never felt such an overwhelming desire to kiss someone before, but I knew I couldn’t. Bren said she didn’t know how she felt yet, and I had to respect that.

“You’re killing me, Bren,” I muttered as I climbed out of bed. I really shouldn’t think this much about one person, especially not my best friend.

I opened my bedroom door and walked downstairs to the kitchen. Maybe I could make chocolate chips waffles today. Bren absolutely loves them and I could really go for some right now.

I entered the kitchen to find I was not alone; Sterling was sitting at the table eating a bowl of cereal. This was quite odd to me considering that Sterling rarely got up before ten on the weekends and it was only eight. My parents were both off to work by seven, so they weren’t usually around in the mornings either. I kind of liked that bit of time to myself.

"What are you doing up?” I asked him surprised. 

“I had trouble sleeping,” he shrugged as he continued to eat his cereal.

I dug through the cupboard to find the waffle iron. Then I pulled out the waffle mix and chocolate chips. I had just starting preparing the batter when Sterling spoke again.

“Dude, you’re making waffles? Can I have some?”

“Sure, even though you are eating cereal already. I just figured they’d be a nice surprise for Bren,” I replied as I added in chocolate chips to the mix.

“Speaking of Bren…” 

“What about her?” I asked as I stopped what I was doing to look over at him with narrowed eyes. I wasn’t sure if I liked where this was going.

“Well, we talked last night.”

“Oh, I forgot about that! How did that go?” I questioned nosily as I mentally chided myself for falling asleep before she came back.

“Alright I guess. She forgave me and we’re friends,” he answered.

“What’s with the ‘I guess’? Shouldn’t that be a good thing?” I asked puzzled. I had to be missing something here.

"Well, talking about all of that made her pretty upset. I know I hurt her, but I guess I didn’t realize exactly how much I had until last night.” He paused a moment before continuing, “She was crying Greyson. And not just her eyes were getting teary; this was the full on waterworks.”

I didn’t really know what to say to that. Brennan rarely cried. She looked like she was going to cry at moments, but it hardly ever actually happened.

“Look Sterling,” I finally said, “I've only ever seen Bren cry four times. Once when her mom left and she was just a little kid. Another time when her dog, Barkly, died. Now she’s cried twice over you. She didn’t even cry when she fell out of the tree house and broke her arm. I don't know if you still like Brennan like that, but I suggest you keep things in the friend zone. I know I don't want to see her get hurt anymore and I'm pretty sure you don't want to either.”