6. Took You Long Enough

Chapter 6: Took You Long Enough

Sterling’s Point of View

My brother is a douche bag. He acts like he has to do everything for Brennan. She is capable of taking care of herself. He seems to think Bren is so naïve and innocent that she’d do anything with a guy that would give her the time of day. He may be her best friend, but he doesn’t seem to know her that well. Bren can’t be pushed into anything, believe me.

I looked around my room in search of something to do. My eyes eventually landed on a basketball hiding in a corner; perfect. I texted a couple of my friends to meet at a local park and changed into some athletic shorts. I grabbed the basketball and my keys and headed out to my truck.

After basketball I came home and took a quick shower and then made some lunch. Then I went up to my room and immersed myself in Call of Duty for a while.

I didn’t realize how long I had been playing until I glanced at my phone when it started ringing. How the hell is it already nine?

“Hello,” I answered.

“Hey Sterling, do you know where Grey is? I tried calling him and texting him, but he never responded,” Bren said, her voice slightly wavering.

“I’ll check if he’s here,” I told her as I got up off the bed. “Are you alright, Bren?”

 “I’m fine,” she answered a bit too quickly. Did she really think I was going to fall for that?

I opened Grey’s door and he wasn’t in there, but I did find his phone. I looked around the rest of the house and didn’t see him anywhere.

“He isn’t here, Bren. He did leave his phone here though, which is why he didn’t respond.”

“Okay, thanks Sterling,” she replied quietly.

“Brennan, I know something’s wrong. We’re friends now, right? How about you tell me about it?” I suggested.

“I’d rather not talk about it like this; not over the phone.”

“Then I’ll be over in ten minutes, okay?”

I hung up the phone before she could tell me not to. I had barely climbed into my truck when I received another call from her. I reluctantly answered it, but I knew she wouldn’t tell me not to come if I was already on my way. She was too nice for her own good sometimes.

“Hello,” I answered for the second time.

“Sterling, you really don’t have to come over. I’m fine,” Bren insisted.

“Well, I’m already on my way.”

“Fine, but you’re going to have to sneak in. My dad’s home,” she gave in after a moment. “You can just climb up the— ”

“Bren, I know how to sneak into your room. I’ve done it before, remember?” I reminded her as I smiled slightly to myself. 

“Well, see you soon then I guess.”

“Yes, you will,” I told her suggestively. I heard a slight laugh before she hung up.    

***

I eventually made it up the tree to Bren’s window, but it was way more difficult than I remembered.

“Bren!” I called out quietly as I tapped the window.

I heard her footsteps as she made her way to the window and softly opened it.

“Took you long enough.” she smirked. I had forgotten how sexy that smirk made her look.