Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE:

The laughter that filled the games room was loud enough to suppress any echoes. I looked around with a large grin on my face at all the happy and amused expressions of my friends and family. My Mum was sitting next to my Dad on the comfy leather couch, snickering at the crude joke he made to the members of the pack who were listening intently to his story about my siblings and their embarrassing moments. Parents. They are there to love you and betray you at the same time. They swore they would never tell a soul. That obviously went down the drain quite a while ago. I examined the person next to me - my best friend Sandy. She also seemed to be interested in her older sister telling her about a pair of Christian Louboutin pink limited edition pumps for a "measly" price of $10,075. I rolled my eyes at that. Their family has a huge amount of money in the bank. That didn't mean they were greedy though. If you need any amount of money, they would be glad to loan you some.

A loud wolf whistle echoed in the room, everyone stopped talking immediately. It was the previous Alpha, Tom. He still had some authority over the pack but decided to hand the reins to his son, Hunter.

The thought of Hunter made my heart skip a beat. Women can sense their mate before their partner does. I've never had the courage to tell him though, my family threatens to tell him for me but I know that I need to wait for the right moment. I'm just scared that he's going to be like someone from my past. I've been told that the only other way for Hunter to know himself, is by touching me while looking in my eyes. He'll supposedly feel sparks from my touch and fall in love with me. I'm not sure how much I believe that, though. I try to ignore my feelings for him most of the time, we've never even shared a complete conversation. I'm probably doing him a favour, he'd never be interested in a girl like me anyway.

"As it's pack game night, we are going to have a game of Twister," he said. 

The children applauded and turned to their friends with excited expressions. 

"That means everyone 18 and below will be playing also," he added while smirking.

"Ugh," the teenagers and the older kids groaned. I looked at Sandy in annoyance, I hated the game. 

Once the Twister mats were spread on the floor and the game stations set up, all the children charged at the Alpha to go first. I just sat back and smiled at their small hands gripping onto Tom's pant legs. A normal Alpha would be telling them to get off and be ashamed, but he didn't. Although Tom is strict at times, he's mostly playful and doesn't mind. It's a quality I admire about him.

Tom laughed, "Okay children, that's enough. We will have six at each game. Lucy, Zack, Seth, choose one friend to go with you to one mat. Gale, Alex, Kate, do the same," Tom instructed. Lucy chose a girl her age, I had seen her a few times. 

There are a lot of people in this pack, over 200. About 60 of them live in the pack house, which from the outside appears as a mansion. The rest live around the area in their own houses if they have kids. Our pack is the second best in the entire state. We are allies with the first and third best, for our own safety and so we can help each other if a war starts. A war starting is highly unlikely but it is possible. 

Zack and Seth chose their mates. Zack was 15 and Seth was 16. They were the people who were lucky to get their mates at such a young age. From 15 years old to 20 years old, werewolves can get their mates between those ages. Some people don't get a mate. If you turn 21 without a mate, then you have done something that made the Wolf Spirits think you don't deserve a mate. It can be anything from murdering someone to abusing someone. It is possible for someone over the age of 21 to get their mate, it is very rare though. 

The humans know about our race, it would be impossible for humans not to know. We have our own laws which include the human laws also. Mates can mark each other and is considered the equivalent of marriage. It is only fair because if you aren't marked by your mate within two months, you can get depressed and come close to dying. Once you know you are mates, you will feel the missing piece of your soul that you didn't know was missing. Your soul will eventually die if it doesn't have the other piece to it. 

Seth and Zack gave their partners a peck and then held their hand as they led them to the mat. The other twister game and board games were set up also. Everyone else continued their conversations, while the adults went into the dining room to talk. Knowing the adults, they were most likely getting drunk on red wine as they talked about their funny memories while listening to 70's music. 

I joined in with Sandy and her sister's conversation about music and tuned out on what was happening with the children. 

"No, Nicki Minaj is better than that crazy Lady Gaga."

"Why would you ever think that some plastic girl who uses autotune is better than Lady Gaga? Gaga is the most beautiful woman in the world who cares about her fans and teaches people to be who the-," Sandy was stopped by her older sister, Clara who was facepalming her face, being careful not to smudge her makeup. Clara is actually a very beautiful person without makeup, but she is self-conscious, although her mate, Blade, was inching her to skip eyeshadow and bronzer over the past few weeks without her realizing.

"You're wrong. Stop, I hear about her enough as it is at college," groaned an annoyed Clara over the top of Sandy's cries about Gaga being a compassionate person.

I moaned and put my head in my hands while massaging my temples with my eyes closed.