Chapter Sixteen

*** REWRITTEN ***

Life with the Blake Brothers

Chapter Sixteen

Lexi’s POV

It was a cute house that we pulled up to. It was a two story house painted light blue. A cute porch held two rocking chairs and a swinging chair. It was cute and homey. “I know it’s not much but it’s home.” He said.

“Well I love it. It’s so cute.”

"Thanks," he said opening the door and letting me go first. I stepped through and immediately my head went to a wall of pictures. I stood in front of them wanting to ‘aw’ at how cute he was when he was younger. “Come on, I’ll show you to my room before my mother or siblings find you.” He lightly grabbed my elbow before pulling me up the stairs and passed a doorway. “Here’s my humble abode.” He kicked a pair of boxers underneath his bed and smiled.

It was a dark blue room, trophies were on shelves around the room, medals placed on his desk a couple pictures plastered around the room of a little girl – the same girl he was drawing the first day of school. “She’s pretty.” I commented as I pointed to the little blond girl with bright green eyes, not something you see every day.

“I know.” He agreed.

“Is everything okay?” I asked breaking him out of his trance as he stared at the picture. “With your sister I mean?”

His eyes found mine as he tried to clear off all emotions I still found one, anger. What was he mad about? What happened to his sister that he would be so mad about? “It’s nothing, let’s just work on our project.”

I nodded okay and took a seat on his bed right next to him. He grabbed a lab top and placed it on his lap, grabbing my notepad and typing away on his computer. We had a fourth of the play done.

“You know you can tell me anything right.” I said breaking the silence.

The typing stopped and he looked up at me with uncertainty lingering on his face. “I’m really good at keeping secrets, if you don’t want anyone to know, no one will.” I added. He cast a glance towards the picture on the wall before sighing and pushing the laptop off of his lap and onto the bed next to him.

“I’ve never told anyone before.” He said.

“You don’t have to—“

“No I want to.” He nodded his head. “Her names Melanie, she’s sweet and adorable. She’s seven years old and has cancer. When she was five they diagnosed her with some kind of cancer. The names really long and I don’t bother learning it.” He confessed staring at the picture on the wall as if willing her to hop right out of it and be fine.

“They say she doesn’t have much longer left and she spends all of her day in the hospital with other kids her age.” A lone tear fell from his eye. I wrapped my arms around his neck. He nuzzled his head in my neck as the tears flowed from his eyes.

I didn’t know what to say, I didn’t know what to do. What do you say to someone who is losing their sister? I just held him tighter and waited as he cried it out. The only thing that could be heard was his sobs as he tightened his hold on my shirt.

“I’m sorry.” He hiccupped.

“There is nothing to be sorry about. It’s okay to cry and you’re losing your sister I totally understand. It’s not easy losing someone, I get that, and everything is going to be just fine. All you can do is be there for her right now. She needs you and you need her. Spend as much time with her as you can, if you don’t you’ll regret it.”