Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen... Tristan

When they called her flight to the gates, I suddenly became distant. I hate saying goodbyes, especially to people I care about the most. My dad was literally my best friend and I hate saying goodbye to him every time he goes back to the marines. I miss talking to him and just seeing him.

Geez Tristan you sound like a girl.

I stop walking and look at Em.

"Anything else you need?" I asked.

"No I don't think so." She said.

"Okay." I begin to walk away and I hear some sobbing behind me. I feel like their are weights on my feet and I can't move. Why does she have to cry?

"So that's it?" She asked I turn and see tears are already pouring down her face.

"Out of all the goodbyes I have done today, I thought you would be the one that I would have the hardest time to say goodbye to, but your making it look like you don't care. Well then, I guess I don't care either." she said. Em turns and walks away. I turn and start to walk away too. I realize how much of an ass I was. She is the strongest person I know and I realize underneath the strong, weak shines through in the darkest time. What have I done? I turn back around and run to gate three. I pass around crowds of people like a snake, slithering through gardens. I look for Em and I can't find her. I put my hands on both sides of me head in frustration. I look at the gate and see a head with red hair on it. I smile and realize Em came back out for her bag. She looks at me and I stare in her eyes.

"What?" She said harshly.

"I wanted to say good bye." I said.

"You could have a little while ago. You better be lucky I left this bag or I would have already been gone." She said. She started to cry and I compared her crying, to a water fountain. I grab her and pull her into a hug.

"I hate being the one that makes you cry." I said. I leaned into her ear and decided to apologize for my actions.

"I'm so sorry, Em. I shouldn't have been such a jerk."

"It's okay." I felt relieved that she forgave me. I lean in and kiss her. Everything else in the world just slips away. Emmaleigh and I were the only two people in the world, which I honestly wouldn't mind at all. I pull away and leans into her left ear.

"This is the ear closest to your heart, so listen very carefully." She nods and I decide to tell her things she will remember.

"I love you, forever and always. No matter what happens, what we go through, we will always make it and I know it. I want you to always remember that. Also remember my first statement to you: When in doubt, think if me." I pull back and remember that I got her something. I reach in and grab the necklace I got her. I pull it out of my pocket and open the box it was in. I open the locket for her and she sees the picture my mom took of us on our first date. I put the necklace on her and she smiles.

"I will always be with you wherever you go, I promise." I kissed her cheek and she turned and walked in the gate. She turns and looks at me one more time.

"I love you. forever and always!" She yelled. I smiled at her and watch her leave as the gates close.

"She is a very beautiful girl, you better hold on to her." An elderly lady said to me.

"Don't worry ma'm, I don't have any intentions on letting her go." I say. I realize I don't want to let her go at all.

I watch out the window, as her plane takes off. It's official, she is gone. I walk out to my car and drive home. I walk inside to my laptop and see I have an email.

_________________________

Tristan,

When you get a chance, skype

me please.

-Dad

_________________________

I quickly log on to skype. His name is in my recent calls list and I press his name. Minutes later he answers.

"Hey Dad!" I say.

"Hey Tristan." He says in a depressed tone.

"What's wrong? And don't lie to me."

"I can't come home as soon as I planned." He said.

"What?"

"I know, I'm sorry. I promise to be home before St. Patricks Day next year." He smiled.

"Dad, don't make promises you can't keep. I'm not sounding rude but you said you would be home before Halloween. I'm starting to wonder if you ever want to come home."

"It's not me Tristan! It's my boss. If it was my choice, you know I would rather be with mom and my four perfect kids."

"I know."

"I have to go T. I'll talk to you soon." He ends the call and Jared runs in.

"Was that Dad?" He asked.

"No. It was one of my buds in California."

"Oh, when will dad come home?"

"I don't know." Jared walks out and I look in my mirror. I'm an awful brother. I couldn't tell him about Dad, not get anyway. To be honest, I don't even know if Sarah remembers Dad as well as the rest of us. Why must military life be so hard?

"Come help me with the groceries Tristan!" Mom yells from downstairs.

"Okay!" I yell back. Life is so irritating sometimes.