Chapter 22

Chapter 22.... Tristan

Nothing. Empty. Loneliness. Heartbreak.

Why did this happen? My dad didn't deserve to die like this. All we know is there was a bombing, we don't know by who yet. There's only one person I can talk to and she's not even here with me. I Skype Emmaleigh and I hope she answers. When I see her tear stained face, I know she knows.

"Tristan." She says with exhaustion. I saw wet spots on the keyboard and I didn't realize I was crying.

"It will be okay." She says.

"No it won't."

"It will be. It may hurt at first, but you will be okay. I know how you feel." I just smile and I can't say anything.

"I wish you were here." I say.

"Me too." She looks to her left and looks upset.

"I wish I could stay on, but my aunt says I have to go."

"Okay."

"I love you."

"Love you too, Em." We log off and I fall back on my bed. I'm exhausted.

"Tristan?" Jared walks in.

"Hey bud. What's up?"

"Why does it hurt so much?" He walks over to me and I pull him into a big hug.

"I don't know. We will get through this, I promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't go to school for a few days. We had to wait until they sent Dad's remains back before we planned anything for his funeral. We planned a good bit, but we couldn't believe it until he was home. Mom took days off of work and acted like a ghost. She just slowly moved around the house motionless and with nothing in her expressions.

Dad's remains came the next day and his visitation was that night. I look in the mirror and see my grey polo and khaki pants. I don't look like myself. I walk into the funeral home and I'm greeted by many, many people. When I saw Hilary, I felt some relief. I needed a friend.

"How are you doing?" She asks. Since that night she talks to me a lot more than anyone.

"I'm getting by." I give a slight smile and talk to more people. When everyone leaves we go home and I sleep for a few hours. The next morning I dress in my nice black suit and grey tie.

"You look nice Tristan." Mom says.

"Thanks. You do too." She smiles softly and looks at the ground.

"It will be okay Mom." I give her a hug and she starts to cry.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do." I just squeeze her even tighter and we head over to the church. I walk in and see a crowded church. Full of people that I have never met or seen before. I sit down and I feel a hand grab mine. I just assume it's Mom, but this hand is warm and comforting. I look up and see a beautiful smile from Emmaleigh.

"You don't have to say anything." She says. She grabs my hand tighter and kisses the top of it.

"You were there for me and now I'm here for you." She smiles and tears stream down her face. This only made me love her even more. I kiss her cheek and pull her into a hug. We sit back and listen to my father's funeral service.