(14) Kelsea - Wednesday 22nd August, 5.24 p.m., Park (On A Bench)

I guess I'm almost on my own now. No Demi. No Lucy. No dad. No mum. They're all not on my side, or they don't care enough to pretend they're on my side.

Gosh was it rainy this morning. Massive drops of water stoned the roof of the house. Mum didn't get up. Lucy was in the living room writing something.  

And I had work. 

I pulled on my uniform and then tried to look cheerful as I - or so I thought - glided down the staircase. I asked Lucy if she wanted breakfast and she shook he head once. I made toast.  

God it was boring. And awkward. So very very awkward. 

The clock said half eight - which meant I was late - it takes five minutes to get to the bus stop and the bus leaves at eight thirty. That meant I'd have to wait for the quarter- to bus. And it takes ten minutes to get into town, so I'd arrive at five to. And my shift started at ten to. 

I know it's only five minutes! But you know what old Nora's like. And Sienna does the same hours as me, these days she is always trying to get me into trouble.

Gram says, "Oh, the heavens are opening!" when it rains like it was this morning. God, it's so weird how I Miss her and she's only on the other side of town. I wish I could see her more often. 

I wish I would tell her how much I love her more often. 

I never asked her what she meant by the heavens opening. When it rained hard like this Demi would say to me that God was angry, trying to drown us all out. Lucy told me god was crying. And the whole lot of them say that when there's thunder, God's moving his furniture around.  

Maybe there right. But I'm not here to discuss His existence or his connection with our crappy weather.

I was sort of angry at god for making it rain today because... Well, Kale wouldn't be out. Man, I really shouldn't be writing this! I don't look out for him, I don't!  

But I was surprised when I saw him lying in the back-trailer-majiggy thing of his truck. Wearing nothing but a drenched white t-shirt and equally soaked, distressed jeans. I suddenly felt extremely un-fearless in my buttoned up coat With the hood up. God, and he was listening to music! The headphones still in and all as the tiny droplets bounced off him. 

I remember the eruption of incredulity and joy as I stood in the massive storm, and quickly forced my inner feelings down to a small fizzle of emotion. I couldn't believe that I felt like that!  

And then I couldn't believe it when I yelled, "Kale Atticus!" I bounded over to his vehicle and he straightened up, eyes narrowed through the rain yet alert. When his eyes fell onto mine he laughed loudly and I felt like dancing across the rain-sprayed pavement.  

I smiled. "You really are out here every morning." 

"I know! It's great!" he was just as hyper as me. 

I never thought the rain could do this to you. I smiled and smiled and smiled.  

I suddenly felt a need for him - no, not in that way - a burning, comfort-seeking need for us to talk more often. I want to see that lion-cub smile everyday and I am now going to admit that I am not afraid to admit it. 

"You'll catch pneumonia like that though," I told him, almost feeling like Gram. 

"God's blessed us with this much water for a reason, Kelsea. I want to enjoy it." His eyes were intense as he said that, and it was strange because I had been thinking about god and rain and storms before.