(12) Kelsea - Tuesday 21st August, 10.37 p.m., The Living Room Corner

My mind just screams DISASTER whenever I try to come up with a definition of today’s events.

But before I start writing, I’d just like to say – sorry I haven’t been writing for the past . . . wow, six days! It’s just been pretty boring. Two weeks left of summer, may I add, and all I’ve been doing is working. Jogging. Watching stupid, pointless TV. Cleaning. Listening to music.

Lucy darts in and out of the house like a little frog (don’t ask). Mum’s always out. At work, or shopping (not for food though – I’m left to do that), or out with friends.

Life’s dull.

So I thought that today would be an amazing day to take Lucy out. I was off work, she wasn’t doing anything (does she EVER? Except homework – WHEN IT’S THE HOLS!) and mum had just disappeared off the face of the earth – but like I cared where she was! So I decided to take Lucy shopping. I’d say she was a bit weirded out, because I’m horrible to her and never pay attention these days, but she didn’t argue.

So we got into town. Lucy was silent and I didn’t really know what to say, but I don’t think she felt awkward – she was staring out the window, fascinated. I’ve noticed Lucy’s really pale. Is that her natural complexion? It doesn’t seem natural. And when we got home tonight she fell asleep straight away on the couch. I had to carry her upstairs.

But we got into town. I asked Lucy where she wanted to go and she said she didn’t care. I took her around all my usual shops – River Island, H&M, Hollister, Miss Selfridge. I picked up a cute jacket from River Island, and I bought Lucy a dress from H&M. It’s sort of indie style – orange and blue floral pattern, floor length . . . Lucy loves things like that. I think that made her perk up from her silent day dream. But apart from those purchases, we were really just window shopping.

And having a great time. I wasn’t even thinking the usual thing when I am having a good time – you know, the usual, “This is too good to be true. Something bad will happen to ruin the perfection.”

And it seemed Lucy was enjoying it too. It was perfect – just a sisterly shopping trip, not seeing anyone we knew that might ruin it. And I was prepared to hide if I did see anyone I knew – not because I was embarrassed of Lucy, but because I didn’t want someone to start talking to us and interrupt our day.

We went for lunch at Pizza Express. I remember all the times we used to come with Mum and Gram when we were younger – this was the only place we ever agreed on, what with Gram’s celiac illness thing and mum was always on a diet, and Lucy and I just thought this was cool.

Lucy told me so much as we ate, too – about school – her favourite subjects are Art and History (did I even know that?), and she hates some subjects but only bothers with them because she will have to do well in them later for college. She has a crush on a guy called Cory (adorable!) who she sits next to in class a lot, but knows that thirteen is too young to actually have a serious relationship.

We were having a great time.

Until I glanced over at the door. And who was there?

Demi. She had Maycee and Sienna (who I am beginning to hate) as well as that guy she sits next to in English – Ryan Croft. That guy has such an obnoxious, idiotic, yet dim personality. And another dude I didn’t even know she was friends with was there – Wes Strand. The HOTTEST guy in the year. Second hottest in the school (after Kale Atticus, and he’s in the year above). Well, actually, come September, Wes will be the hottest in the school, because the older year will have left for university or whatever they’re gonna do with their lives, and we will be the oldest year.