30. Reunited

"Vince!" I heard someone call from the crowd. But Vince didn't move. He was still staring at me, shocked how I was still alive.

"Vince, what the hell is going on?" Two familiar bodies pushed through the huddled people and squeezed towards the front.

Brenda and Thomas.

When they were infront, they looked at the flyer that was parked a few meters away before fixing their attention on me as I slowly stepped beside Vince. Brenda gasped and placed her hands on her mouth. Her glassy eyes were wide open and soon enough, tears began to fall.

"What the..." Thomas stuttered and took a step forward. "Maya?" He shook his head in disbelief, still not convinced that the girl they chained up and thought was dead was still alive and now stood infront of him.

I smiled faintly. "Greenie."

Thomas sniffled before running towards me and yanked me into a strong and warm embrace. He rested his face on the crook of my neck, sobbing like a child. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tighter. When the hug finally ended, I cupped his face and wiped the tears with my thumb. I've never seen him cry like this before. I looked over to Brenda who was still in tears and made my way towards her, dragging the metal pole with me before hugging her tightly. Then Thomas joined in and hugged the both of us.

"Ouch. Guys, I can't breathe." I complained before they slowly detached from me.

"Welcome back, Maya." Vince finally spoke as he patted my shoulder. "Wow. You made it. Holy shit."

I turned back at the flyer and saw papa waving his hand, signalling for me to go on. I nodded and followed Vince, Thomas and Brenda with the crowd not far behind. Thomas was bringing the pole since its wheels got buried in the sand and it became hard for me to move around. Brenda wrapped her arm around my shoulder as I followed them to the main village located near the shore.

Many teens and adults were there, still building more shelters and constructing other huts. They looked at me curiously while whispering to each other. I scanned the people until I finally found Minho, sitting by a log and carving something. Brenda whistled and caught the ex-runner's attention. When our eyes met, he stood up, dropping his things. I was overjoyed to see this bastard and know that he was rescued. Despite all those life-threatening tests WCKD had put him through, he made it out alive.

I ripped the tube from my wrist as it would slow me down and immediately sprinted towards Minho, jumping on his torso and wrapping my arms around his neck, ignoring the prickling sting from the needle. I wrapped my legs around his waist and stroked my fingers through his already thick hair and nuzzled on his shoulder.

"The shuck?" Minho muttered as he stood frozen for a moment. "What level of heaven is this?" I playfully slapped his shoulder. He scoffed then wrapped his arms around me.

"Holy shit, Maya?"

"What in tarnation?!"

I got off Minho and spun around to see who called. Frypan was there, holding a basket full of vegetables. Beside him was Gally, Clint and Jeff, all looking surprised as shit.

How the hell could these boys grow that tall in a span of a month?

Fry dropped the basket and he and the others raced towards me. He hugged me so tight I thought I was gonna break my ribs. Gally then pulled me away from the cook and embraced me. They were all ripping me from each other's arms, fighting who gets to hug me the longest. It was funny because I got dizzy as they passed me around. Clint was just full on bawling. I could hear Brenda giggle from behind.