14. WCKD is NOT Good

6 months later...
[day before the train heist]

There was no exact way to tell time nowadays.

WCKD could have been experimenting on us for weeks, months or maybe even years. Who knows? We were frequently transferred from one facility to another. It was completely impossible to determine our whereabouts.

We lost track of time. Lost hope.

After that fateful night at the Right Arm camp, I woke up in a room with Minho, Aris, Sonya and a bunch of other kids from the camp. Although I was relieved they did not take Newt, but Minho was not as lucky. I could have done something to stop WCKD from abducting us but I was purposely knocked unconscious maybe for the reason that I would not be able to use my foreseeing ability.

But atleast I saved Mary before everything went dark. I hope they did not try to shoot her again.

Doctor Paige sent me back to the lab to continue the trials, possibly building another maze. Apparently, WCKD still had unfinished trials and experiments to conduct. They did not stop.

Or maybe they never intended to stop.

But this time, I refused to take part in the madness.

Teresa once tried to talk and convince me that we could get a chance at redemption, contribute for the betterment of the human race's future. But I got so overwhelmed by shame and anger, that I was unable to prevent myself from strangling her like it would make all the pain go away. She probably would have died if Janson was not alert enough to check on us and pull me away. He had to slam me against the wall like a helpless ragdoll since I tried to fight back.

Years ago when I first arrived at WCKD, they made sure I was in the best of health. But now, after all the "disappointing" choices I made, they ignored my state.

They locked me up and drained all my energy everyday by inserting long wires into my temple, electrocuting my brain and putting me into this horrifying, nightmare-fueled simulations. They kept isolating me from my friends. They constantly threatened to cut my life source since I was no longer needed. I wished they would just do it. It was staggering how I managed to come out alive after those torturous tests.

Until one time I took the chance to escape while the doctors left me unattended in one of the lab rooms.

I laid in a bed, surrounded by massive screens, pretending to be asleep, waiting for their vulnerable moment. Once there was only one doctor left tending me, I pounced on her back, holding her neck on a chokehold.

Shuck, was I good at these things.

She gasped for air as my grip tightened, both of us struggling until she finally collapsed to the floor, motionless.

But for some reason, I felt nothing. Just exhaustion. No remorse. No shame.

The doctor probably deserved this.

No. Not like this. I had to feel something.

Grabbing a scalpel, I plunged it on her neck repeatedly, ignoring the blood splattering all over my hospital gown. I needed to make sure she would never ever wake up--never to take part in making our lives miserable again. I was doing the other kids a favor. One less evil doctor to worry about.

There. Now I definitely had to feel something.

Why the fuck am I doing this?

Once the realization of my sickening actions dawned on me, I quickly dropped the scalpel, while slowly getting back on my feet.