22. Chained Up

Frypan and Newt were busy preparing for the rescue mission. Apparently, these bastards had already made a plan without me. While I was isolated in a different room, away from them, I could still hear a ton of yelling and scolding--majority of those voices were Newt's

We were all to meet up in the empty garage of Lawrence's building. As much as I tried pestering them to tell me about their plan, no one would, not even Newt. They even sent Jorge back to camp for some reason. They wanted me to go with him but I refused. It was probably their last effort to get rid of me. But I was a stubborn bitch.

They needed me now, but they didn't want me to help.

I separated myself for a while, walking alone the hallways. It was dead silent; I could hear my footsteps and heavy exhales.

I stopped in my tracks. Someone was behind me. I spun around only to find out that no one was there.

"The hell?"

But when I turned around I almost yelped when I saw Erin standing a few meters in front of me. She started to walk closer. But every time she took a step, grievers would emerge from behind her. I tripped as I took a step backward. She raised her hands and charged but passed right through me. The grievers were gone as well.

It's just your imagination. They can't harm you.

I shrugged it off and proceeded but I heard faint cries from another room. I knew these were just mind tricks and hallucinations but I still rushed to check what it was.

When I entered the room, I saw myself. More like, a healthier, younger version of myself; sobbing and gravely hugging a familiar black object---a radio.

The radio began to emit static noises and broken voices as the sobbing other version of me began to relax. But the radio noises suddenly shifted to familiar cries and screams, calling for my name.

From the gray walls, all my dead friends emerged one by one. Their skins were tattered and their hands fell limp to the sides of their bodies. They were all glaring at me with bloodshot eyes, blood dripping from their mouths.

Insanity was slowly overpowering my mind, taking what was important to me, adding new dangerous ideas, seeding a new personality and muddling up the rest.

I rapidly blinked my eyes several times and they suddenly disappeared. I thought the hallucinations and the crawlers would already stop. But they were just getting started.

________________________________________

'Newt's PoV:

"I ain't trying to be a downer, but the odds of us not making it out alive, scares the hell outta me." Frypan stated.

"I know. But it's the only bloody chance we have," I replied while taking out several black masks from a huge bin. "By the way, have you seen Maya? I told her to wait for me by the stairs but she left."

"I think I saw her by the hallway."

I placed a rucksack back on the floor and went to look for her. While Gally was still discussing a lot of things with Teresa, Frypan and I decided to ready the weapons first. This was a mission we couldn't guarantee on making it out alive. But it was worth a shot.

I jogged through the quiet hallways, calling for her. This new side was difficult to understand. Being infected with the flare also meant that you would slowly go insane. I never wanted that to happen to her but she was now infected, and it was spreading faster.

When I reached a certain dingy room, I finally saw her, standing infront of a mirror, staring at her reflection. The veins were now almost covering half of her face. Something was starting to drip from her mouth.