5. Goodbye Fresh Clothes

"Maya? Maya!"

My body remained stiff as I continued to listen to the disembodied voices around me. Everything felt so heavy and loud at the same time.

"Dammit, she's not moving."

"Yeah, no shit."

"Wake her up!"

"Newt do something!"

It took me a few seconds to recognize who those voices belonged to. Slowly and reluctantly, my eyes opened, my eyelashes gently batting against my lids when I blinked.

"Maya!" Newt cupped my face. "Hey, we have to go."

I stared at him blankly. I then glanced to the side and saw a few doctors kneeling on the ground with their hands tied. Teresa was awake and appeared to be just as confused as I was.

"N-newt," I mumbled, "What's going on?"

"I'll explain later. We have to go now."

"You're never gonna get away with this." One of the doctors spoke.

"Guys?" Frypan warned, "They're coming. Where do we go?"

Clint, Jack and Jeff started barricading the door. Once I tried to stand up, my legs wobbled and I dropped on the cold floor, shaking.

I was not exhausted physically, but mentally. Having all your memories given back in one go could actully worn the klunk out of you.

Minho was aiming a gun at the door while men tried to break in. Newt quickly hoisted me up, swinging my arm around his shoulder.

I coughed. "I can't....I can't feel my legs."

"Ok we gotta get out of here!" Minho yelled as the door was now being forced open.

Thomas grabbed a chair and banged it on the glass window, Frypan helping until the window shattered to pieces. Teresa placed a sheet on the pane to avoid getting hurt by the shards as both of us were still barefoot. Immediately, Newt hauled me to Thomas who already hopped to the other side of the window.

"Wait, I can't...." I whimpered, gasping, struggling to even regain full control on my legs. I was not carrying anything but felt like something was weighing me down.

"Get on my back!" Minho instructed impatiently, probably pissed that I was not moving at all. Thomas assisted me as I clung unto Minho's shoulders tightly.

We scurried through the hallways. But as we reached the door, it wouldn't open. Thomas cursed as he repeatedly swiped the card, hoping it would work.

"Thomas!"

Everyone spun around. Newt picked up the card and tried swiping it again.

"Open this door, Janson!" Thomas demanded as he aimed a gun at him.

"You really don't want me to."

"Open the damn door!"

"Listen to me! I'm trying to save your life. The maze is one thing, but you kids wouldn't last a day out in the scorch. If the elements don't kill you, the cranks will."

"You might think you could survive out there. But I assure you, you won't last long if you bring somebody like her. You might get out but she'll only slow everybody down."

Janson was not being specific, but we all knew who he was talking about.

I pressed my forehead on Minho's nape. As much as I wanted to escape this place, Janson was right. I would be having a rough time dealing with the unfriendly environment outside.