chapter 1

Third person pov

" AYAT.!!!!!" Ayat's stepmother Shifa's loud voice echoed from the downstairs.

" yes Mom!! I am coming, just wait a minute" Ayat replied with fear and slight hesitation, replaying the today's events in her mind and wondering had she done something wrong.

'Why mother is screaming so much, did I do something wrong?"

With thoughts running wild,  she was wondering. She did not like shouting from her stepmother but she can't talk back.

Yes ..! She might not voice her thoughts  like her sister Ayesha,  because she feared from her parents. Her timid behaviour was due to the fact that she had to look after her real brother 'Hashim' who was currently mentally ill. Her uncivilized behaviour would only put her in more problems for herself as well as for her brother.

She needs money. She worked for hours in cafe just to get some penny so that she could be able to spend it on her brother's treatment. After spending a long tiring day she still had to do household chores or else she would be punished. This thought alone made her shiver.

"Just come downstairs this instant..!!" her stepmother screamed again only with a raised high pitched voice than before.

"Yes mother!" Ayat was feeling annoyed and slightly angry. Sadly she couldn't show her emotions.

'Why don't she want me to take some rest !? It's not even over five minutes that I had came to this house after my work. And this woman, she can't see me taking some  rest.' Ayat thought angrily though she knew how much she feared her stepmother knowing the power she hold on her father and that's why she don't want to voice her thoughts.

She reached the downstairs to the living room meekly where her stepmother was standing looking at her angrily, more like glaring daggers at her which made Ayat having goosebumps on her body.

But she was feeling annoyed at the moment. Without pondering over her thoughts, the words sputtered from her mouth before she could acknowledge what she was saying..

"Now tell me what is your problem.  Why were you shouting like a mad woman?" Her eyes went wide as she realised what she had said but before she could comprehend with what's going on, she felt a sting on her left cheek.

She slapped me..!! A sudden realisation of her power over her made her feel anguish.

" You bitch!! what did I told u to do. Why you had not cooked the lunch and not cleaned the whole house yet...!!??" with that her stepmother fisted her long hairs with her palm and again gave her a tight slap .!

" And how dare u to talk to me like that..!! calling me a mad woman..!! how dare u..!! did u forgot what i could do to u or u just want some dose again to remind u.. huh.!!!" says her stepmother angrily.

'how could i forget that' thought ayat.
"Am sorry mom.. ple-please dont hu-hurt me" said Ayat with tears filling the brim of her eyes..

"no bitch.!! u and ur stupid brother are just like that.. u both want some beating as a reminder. Remember! i could harm ur precious brother so dont ever think u can disobey me bitch.You both are a useless member of this family. Wait a minute. Why dont u give us a favor go and commit suicide somewhere else along with ur little brother. Atleast we could have a relaxing breath. You both are just feeding on my husband's money. You whore!! Just wait a minute. Let me tell ur so called father and let's see what he will do to you. You slut!!" With that her stepmother walked away  but just before going out of the room she turned around and said glaring at Ayat.