Chapter 4: Steps in the Wrong Direction

"It's nice out today." Louis hummed as they walked down the street, pulling Harry from his thoughts. The alpha turned his attention to the person beside him. Louis was looking around at the buildings and skyline around them, his blue eyes shining with interest. "First time in the past week or so that it's not cloudy or rainy."

"Hmm..." Harry hummed in agreement. "I guess I chose a good day to do this together then."

"You did." Louis mumbled easily. "So come on. Tell me more about yourself. Are you going to Uni? Do you have a job?"

Harry frowned a bit at the questions. He didn't like talking about himself. He wanted to learn more about the lovely boy walking next to him.

But it was only fair for him to answer the questions that were asked of him.

"I'm not in Uni." Harry answered, voice back to being very monotone. "But I work with Zayn at the tattoo shop that's around the corner from our flat. I'm not much of an artist myself, but I help him run the place. I've done a few myself before, but only for close friends, and they weren't that elaborate. Zayn is one of the actual artists." he explained.

Louis nodded.

"That sounds cool. At least you get to work with your friend and you're around stuff that interest you, judging from that tattoos I can see on you." Louis mumbled looking up at the alpha, eyes drifting to the black ink peeking out from the collar of his shirt and under his sleeve.

"Yeah," Harry chuckled. "I guess you can say I'm fond of them."

"You're covered," Louis laughed a bit, leaning up and poking at Harry's collar bone. "What's that anyways? Looks like a wing."

"Swallows," Harry hummed, watching the omega's lips turn upward into a soft smile. "Got two of them on both sides."

"Why'd you get those?"

Harry's eyes turned dark at the reasoning behind the tattoos. "Long story," he grumbled.

Louis just nodded, figuring he shouldn't push the topic. "Well they all look really good," he spoke before spinning back around to look where he was walking.

"What about you, love?" Harry spoke up, causing Louis to turn back around and look at him, blue eyes meeting green. "You seem to have a few tattoo's yourself." Harry gestured to the omega's right arm, along with returning the gesture by poking at the omega's collar bone. "Are those words I see?"

"Mhmm," Louis hummed, biting on his lower lip as a smile began forming on them. "It is what it is."

"And that means?"

"It's self-explanatory," Louis hummed, spinning around again to continue walking. "It is what it is. Life and everything else just happens, and you can't change it. Whatever happens, happens, and you just have to deal with it and move on. Make something of it, ya know?"

The alpha slowly nodded at the words, letting them sink in. Louis was right. Just had to let life move on because you can’t change anything. It was simple yet deep in a way. Just another layer added onto the interesting character Louis already was proving to be.

"Yeah," Harry breathed. His gaze finally moved off of the omega and looked around at the surroundings. "Where are we heading Lou?"

Louis's heart fluttered at the nickname. "Dunno," he shrugged and continue to lead Harry. "Anywhere we can go."

Any conversation that they had going on fell after that, and they walked in silence. Harry was left to his thoughts, every now and again glancing down to look at Louis who seemed off in his own world.