Chapter 27: Going Back to Normal

Zayn stared at the door blankly, trying to put together what had just happened and why Harry had just stomped out of here when it was after 12:30 in the morning with a pack of cigarettes in his hand.

After a few moments he turned and headed back towards his roommates bedroom. Louis hadn't left. And so help him God, if Louis hurt him and was the reason that he was stomping out of the flat, Zayn was going kill that damned omega.

And then he'd probably be killed when Harry got back for laying a finger on Louis.

"Lou?" Zayn called as he peered into the open bedroom. He saw Louis sat on the bed amongst all of the chaos caused by Harry before. The older man was hunched over, knees drawn up to his chest and his face pressed into them. The alpha could see Louis's shoulders shaking and hear a few wet sniffles and he knew that he was crying.

"Louis, what happened? Where did Harry go?" Zayn asked as he stepped into the room.

Louis gave a weak shrug of the shoulders and lifted his head, wiping at his eyes with a small fist.

"D-Dunno. Away f-from me," he croaked, not looking Zayn in the eye.

"Why what did you say?" Zayn pressed. Louis was silent, staring at the rumpled sheets below him. The younger man waited for an answer but it never came. "Louis!" he tried again, impatiently. "What did you say? Tell me! I swear if you hurt him-"

"ItoldhimIlovedhim," Louis said in one rushed jumble. Zayn froze, having heard what the lad said, but not necessarily believing it.

"What?" he pressed.

Louis took a breath and sniffled, before looking up at Zayn with watery eyes.

"I told him I loved him, Zi," Louis whimpered. "I told him I loved him and then I kept blabbering and he just... he just got up and walked away. Just left, saying he needed air, and fuck, he's leaving me now, isn't he? My mother was right; he doesn't love me back and he isn't going to even try to make something work now because I've scared him off," Louis blabbered. And that was the second time tonight that he's rambled.

Zayn let out a long breath, taking a seat beside the omega on the bed.

"You really told him that?" Zayn asked softly.

"It's true though," Louis sniffled, a few more tears leaking out of his eyes. "I love him and I thought he loved me but I just ruined it all. I couldn't help myself though, Z. He kept saying how he wasn't worth it and I wanted him to know that he really was worth everything we have to go through because I do love him. I love him so much Zayn and it's only been a few months and I just can't help it."

"You imprinted," Zayn said, almost in awe. He had been saying it for a while, but this was just proving him further. It was hard to believe that it was actually a big possibility. He took a moment until he spoke again. "Do... do you think you did?"

Louis let out a wet chuckle, sniffling again after he did so. "My mum thinks I did," he croaked. "And I might have. I don't know. But it all happened so fast, so it's not unlikely."

Zayn nodded slowly, trying to take this all in. "He didn't say it back?"

Louis quickly shook his head no, pressing the heels of his hands into his eyes to try and stop the tears. "I didn't expect him to. But I didn't expect him to just leave either!"

"Calm down," Zayn said softly, placing a hand on Louis's back. "He might just need a moment alone to collect his thoughts. He's been a mess recently. I think he might've just needed some air."

Louis stayed silent, a new rush of tears pouring out of his eyes. He couldn't help himself. Everything was moving so fast and he had gone and confessed his love to an alpha who had just practically rejected him. It felt like he was slowly breaking on the inside.