Chapter 30: The Night Before Christmas

"Boobear," Harry half-sung, walking over and wrapping his arms around Louis's waist. They were alone in the Harry's flat, and Louis was helping Zayn and Harry set up a Christmas tree, which apparently they had never done together before.

Louis glanced away from the tree to look at his boyfriend. "Yes?"

"You're birthday's tomorrow," Harry hummed, placing a peck on the corner of Louis's mouth.

Louis let out a groan, wiggling out of the alpha's grip and walking over towards the box of ornaments Louis and Harry had bought together. "Don't remind me," he muttered.

"How are you not happy about that?"

"Because I'm getting old,” Louis groaned, throwing his hands out to try and put more emphasis on it. Harry just chuckled at the smaller man. "I don't wanna get older."

"It's only 23," Harry smirked.

"Don't remind me," Louis repeated, shooting a glare at Harry. "That's too old."

"No it's not, stop your whining, love," Harry laughed at his boy.

"No," Louis pouted. "Just help me with this," he asked, holding up a few ornaments in his hand and nodding at the bare tree. Harry nodded and grabbed them from the older lad's hands, walking over and starting to hang them.

"I can't believe I let you convince me to put up a damn Christmas tree in my flat," Harry mumbled.

"I can't believe you and Zayn never do anything for Christmas," Louis shot back.

"I never saw the need to. Zayn doesn't celebrate it and I don't have any family around here to do anything with. Like the two of us would exchange gifts just because we were friends, but that's it," Harry explained.

"So why don't you ever go home and celebrate with your parents and sister?" Louis dared to ask, knowing that he was venturing into dangerous territory. Sure enough, almost immediately Harry was tensing and Louis could practically see him putting up the walls.

"Because I don't," Harry answered curtly.

"Figured that would be your answer," Louis sighed.

"What do you mean?" Harry shot back, still sounding defensive.

"I knew you weren't going to give me a valid reason. You don't ever seem to have one," Louis mumbled.

Harry growled a bit at that, sending Louis a little glare.

" Just because you don't know what my reasons are, doesn't mean I don't have any."

"How would I know if you don’t ever tell me though?" Louis asked, eyes narrowed. Harry bit his lip and stayed quiet.

"Exactly," Louis mumbled to himself. He didn’t mean to be harsh. The last thing he wanted to do was turn this into an argument. It just got frustrating sometimes.

"My family life... it's complicated," was all Harry dared to say before turning back to hang up the ornament.

Louis didn't push any further, knowing that he would just make the alpha angrier if he did. "Okay," he sighed.

"You're not going home this year for Christmas, right?" Harry asked after a minute or two of silence, his voice going back to a soft volume. He knew that ever since they visited a few weeks back, Louis's family was also dangerous territory.

Louis deflated a bit, but tried not to let it show once he bent down to pick up another ornament. "No," he said softly. "Would have been there already if I was. All of the girls sent me a birthday card though. Just got it yesterday in the mail."