Chapter 21

One year later.

Normani groans as she gets up, her back popping from the movement. After her wounds healed, she took up physical therapy and got better slowly.

"Mama, come on, it's Christmas! We can't open our presents until you're up!" Bryson whined.

"I'm coming baby." Normani breathes out.

"Need some help?" Lauren asked from the doorway.

Nodding her head, Normani fully sits up and takes a deep breath. Moving still hurt a lot of the time.

Lauren walked into the room and helped Normani up. She wrapped her arm around the older girl's waist and helped her over to her wheelchair.

Sitting in the chair, Normani leaned back and closed her eyes. "I know I can walk sometimes but I'm having a bad day." She breathed out.

"Everyone has bad days." Lauren kissed Normani's forehead.

"Is Dinah downstairs?" Normani asks softly, Dinah was the only one that could help with her pain.

"Yeah." Lauren said, she began pushing Normani's wheelchair towards the door to Normani's room.

Biting her lip, Normani leans back in the chair. "Sorry." She says, thinking she upset Lauren.

"Sorry?" Lauren questioned, a confused look on her face.

"I upset you." The older girl mumbles.

"No you didn't." Lauren said.

Turning slightly, Normani takes a deep breath as pain shoots through her. "Are you sure?"

Lauren nodded. "You didn't upset me." Lauren repeated. "Let's get down stairs and let the kids open their presents."

"Okay." Normani responds tiredly.

Lauren leaned down and kissed the top of Normani's head.

It wasn't long before they were downstairs, Normani leaning against Dinah.

The kids were sitting on the floor opening their presents.

Shifting, Normani takes a deep breath, "Dinah."

"Yeah?" Dinah asked softly.

"I need my pills." She breathes out, leaning against Dinah more.

"I can't exactly get them if you are leaning against me." Dinah said softly.

"I can't sit up." Normani mumbles in embarrassment.

"Don't be embarrassed." Dinah whispered in Normani's ear. She moved Normani to the side and stood up, leaving to get Normani's meds.

The dark-skinned girl closed her eyes in pain, leaning back against the couch.

Dinah came back a few minutes later with Normani's meds and a glass of water.

Taking her meds, Normani releases a soft groan and rubs her eyes tiredly. "Dinah, I need to go to bed."

Dinah sighed and nodded. She lifted Normani into her wheelchair.

Normani stays silent until they get upstairs. "I'm sorry." She whispers, looking down at her hands.

"I told you to stop apologizing." Dinah said, she lifted Normani onto her bed.

Curling into a ball, Normani fights back tears.

Dinah sighed and kissed Normani's head. "I'll be downstairs if you need me." She whispered before leaving the room and going back down the stairs.