Jamie Carter Is A Good Egg

As I throttled through the dimensional barrier my heart squeezed tight the farther away from the prince I got. As I fell to my knees sobs of misery wracked my body, my arms clutched tightly to my aching chest. I could barely breathe, it hurt so bad. I didn't even know what country I was in, or what time it was. I only knew that it felt like dying. Rain poured down on my back.

"Allie?" A voice called. Instantly recognizable. I jerked my head up to find Jamie, an umbrella over his shoulder. Oh sweet, Jamie, the only human I've ever known that's worth a single shit.

His apartment must have been the what I was thinking of. In the back of my mind.

"Jamie," I whispered, my voice was hoarse and I couldn't move my body. I covered my face in my hands and wept pitifully. He placed a hand on my back and lifted me to my feet, I leaned against his small frame as we trudged into wherever he was taking me. His name slipped from my lips over and over again, like he was going to disappear and leave me alone.

--------------------

"Oh fuck, Alabaster, what-" He broke off as he laid me down on a bed, at a loss for words. "What happened to you? We've looked everywhere," I sobbed harder at the thought of Cassius and curled into a ball. Jamie placed a hand on my back and pulled the covers over my shaking body. "I- you don't have to answer that. I'm here for you."

And he stayed.

He stayed with me.

--------------------

Sunlight bit my eyelids at dawn, my body ached, on the inside and out. My eyes were sore like I hadn't slept at all, I could feel the dark bags already. I turned to see Jamie sitting on a chair, fast asleep, his head lolled to the side. I sat up and pushed the covers off my shoulders, my body burned but my skin was cold to the touch. The blood in my veins felt like glass and my limbs were like lead. Nonetheless, I pulled the blanket over Jamie's small body and left what I assumed was his room. His apartment was small, one bathroom, one bedroom.

A digital clock was installed in his oven.

5:43 AM.

I dragged myself to his small bathroom.

It wasn't too messy, a toothpaste stain on the sink, a few smudges on the mirror. That was it. I looked at myself in the reflective surface. Bloodshot eyes, unruly hair, colorless face. I could see creases in my skin from the frown upon my lips. I was hideous and unhealthy. Nothing had ever hurt this way before and it was getting to my head.

My body slumped over as I sat on the edge of the bathtub. Eyes closed, mind buzzing. What day is it? I wonder if Jamie had classes, he probably does. I'm a fucking loser and a terrible friend.

With nothing left to do, I began to pick up the house. It was the least I could do, he'd let me stay, and the tiny apartment could use some serious spring cleaning.

7:01 AM

Jamie walked out of the room looking slightly disoriented. His hair was a mess, eyes glazed over and red from exhaustion.

"Allie?" His voice was weak and hoarse as he called out to me.

"Good morning," I murmured, knowing he couldn't hear me and slid into a chair at his table. "I cleaned your house."

He looked mortified, "Allie, no. You're in no shape to be doing anything. I have never in my life seen someone look as destroyed as you did last night." I looked away from him. "What happened?"

"You're a mortal, you haven't even lived that long," I muttered and scuffed the ground with my toe.

"You're avoiding the question."

"I'm sorry I left you."

"That's not an answer, Allie." I looked up at him and sighed.

"It was Cassius," I whispered quietly and threaded my fingers together.

"Who is that?"

"I don't know anymore," I curled my knees to my chest and looked up at Jamie as he took a seat across from me.

"Did he hurt you?" Jamie asked, "are you okay?"

"He hurt me, yeah, but I don't know if he meant to." My head was replaying the days I'd spent with Cassius. How couldn't he have meant to? He had a mate for crying out loud!

But I chose not to voice these thoughts.

"I thought you only did one night stands?"

"I do," my voice was muffled as I pressed my head to my knees. "But he's not someone I can say no to."

"You can say no to anyone if you want to." Jamie pressed.

"Not him though, he was- is- he's-" I fell silent, did I really want to burden Jamie, like this? "My prince," I said under my breath.

"Prince?" He hesitated in shock.

"Unfortunately, yes," I lamented. "He's one of the demon princes, and next in line to the throne. When- when he took me home, I hadn't realized it was him until it was too late. I should never have gotten mixed up with a prince." The tears were forming too quickly, it hurt to think about him.

"Hey, it's okay, you're here now. I'll try to do whatever I can to help you out." Jamie said with a nod of his head, "you can stay at my house as long as you need."

"Thanks, Jamie," I whispered with a small, reassuring smile.

--------------------

11:27 AM

Jamie had to leave. He had classes at the local university. I always thought it was ironic that he attended a school named North Vladimir University, considering his deathly fear of vampires. I'm pretty sure the poor kid had a little bit of PTSD from when he was a teenager.

When Jamie hit puberty (ew hormones) he acquired an irresistible scent, that was really only detectable to vampires. It was actually a very rare condition called Odosanguinis Disorder, in which only about 1,000 people in the United States were afflicted. A/N (I totally made this shit up.)

Anyways, it led to quite a few run-ins on the streets, at school, and even a few times at home. Those experiences actually left him quite rattled and I guess he was never the same after that.

Now he takes a special pill to virtually make him invisible to vampires on the blood spectrum. Although there hasn't been much progress in the field and the pills have a few side effects. Including mood swings and lightheadedness and all of the other things, you can think of.

So anyways, Jamie was gone. I was sitting on the couch. Depressed. And still wearing Cassius' clothes. I didn't want to take them off.

And I left my phone at the castle.

Fuck.