21. parting song

WARNINGS: angst

It was early.

Or maybe it was late. He wasn't quite sure, really. But what he was sure of, was that he wanted to go back to bed. The mattress he'd just slipped away from was still calling his name, the still-warm sheets were inviting and he was tempted to climb back beneath those covers and go right back to sleep.

The best part about that bed, and those warm covers, was that there was someone there. The warm body of s lover, his lover. He didn't want to leave you. In fact, it was amongst some of the hardest things he'd had to do. And each time he had to leave, it only got worse.

No, he didn't want to leave you. But he had no choice.

You were still curled up beneath those covers, sound asleep and so at peace. He stood there a moment, taking in your sweet face, wishing he could have you with him at all times and never be apart. But he knew that patience was key here. All he had to do was wait it out, for soon, he'd be able to take you with him every time he left. And he simply couldn't wait.

Right now, you were both so busy. His schedule hadn't left much breathing as of late, and neither had yours. You made it work, though, because you loved each other and were determined not to let anything push you apart. But soon, the days of emotional goodbyes and time apart would be over. You'd been talking about it for months now. You were going to leave your full time job in just a few short weeks. You'd worked there for years, long before you'd met Bill, and you loved it, you really did, but it was time for that chapter of your life to end.

In its place, a new chapter was to begin. You'd decided, together, that it was time to start a family. This was something you both wanted, and always had. The knowledge of it being so close, though, suddenly made it very real. This was happening, you were going to fulfill the dreams you had together, you were going to bring precious little babes into the world, and while you were a little scared, you were still so incredibly excited.

But for now, all you could do was wait patiently, and deal with the lot you were currently being dealt. ‍

Indeed, the hour was early. Or, late. Bill still couldn't decide. You, in the other hand, had decided it was early, much too early to be awake. But for him, you'd do absolutely anything. Even if it meant getting up at some odd hour to say goodbye to him.

You woke to the sound of drawers opening. Bill was across the room, trying his best to quietly rifle through the dresser in search of a pair of underwear before his shower. You rolled over, squinting as you looked at him. With a soft groan and a stretch of your muscles, you sat up. Bill heard this, and he turned, taking in the sight of your bed head and sleepy eyes.

He smiled softly. "Go back to bed, babe. I'm just taking a shower."

"Mm, no," you murmured, stifling a yawn as you threw back the covers and stood. You grabbed your robe from the bedpost, pulling it on to give yourself some warmth before you shuffled over to him. He was still in his sleep clothes, which wasn't much at all, just a pair of basketball shorts. His hair was messy, and his eyes were puffy from lack of proper sleep.

"Good morning," you finally spoke, and he leaned down to kiss you as you said this.

"Morning."

"Want some coffee?"

"Want? More like need."