04. come undone

WARNINGS: sexual content

He'd always thought he was good with words.

He was eloquent in his speech, he enjoyed deep conversation, and he had a knack for capturing everyone's attention, whether he was talking about some profound ordeal, or simply telling a story from his childhood. It just came natural to him.

But then you came along, burning bright as a setting sun, crashing into him like a rolling wave, and suddenly, Bill found himself at a loss for words.

He only fully realized this on the night he came to the conclusion that he was in love with you. Painfully, irrevocably in love. But how could he ever say it? Mere words could never show you how much you really meant to him. You'd come around, and he'd come undone.

To be fair, it wasn't necessarily his ability to converse that was messed up, but his ability to express his feelings and emotions. He'd never had such a deep connection with anyone before. It was entirely new for him, and he felt a bit out of his element. Maybe even intimidated was a good description for it. He was afraid of losing you, afraid of saying the wrong thing when trying to tell you how he felt.

Some might call it pathetic, and maybe they'd be right. But he didn't care. He'd found his soulmate, something he never thought he'd be able to say. He didn't deserve you, really. He never had. But here you were, beautiful and pure, with bright eyes gazing at him as if he'd put the very stars in the sky, and he was at a loss for words.

But you taught him that words weren't always needed to express feelings. You made him see things in a different light, made him feel things he'd never felt before, things that were indescribable. You truly had him wrapped around your little finger, and he didn't mind one bit.

As the months passed, and eventually years, he found that you knew him better than anyone else. You knew the most intimate parts of him, the vulnerable parts, the gentle parts, the intense parts, and everything in between. Sometimes it was almost like you knew him better than he knew himself.

And because of this, he knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with you. The decision wasn't something he struggled with, or debated. When he came to the conclusion that he wanted to marry you, he had complete peace about it. It was the one thing he was sure of more than anything else in his life at that point.

He didn't tell anyone he was going to ask you. Not even his mother, whom he'd always figured he'd tell first when this time came. Oh no, he kept it all to himself. He wanted this sweet, intimate moment to be shared with you and no one else.

The only problem was, he had no idea when he should do it. He'd already bought the ring, under the pretense that he was going out with his brother. You'd believed him, thinking nothing of it since he often spent time with his brothers whenever their schedules allowed it.

In reality, Bill was going to the jewelry store. He had to find the perfect ring. Something delicate, not too flashy, but beautiful nonetheless. He needed something that matched your effortless beauty. And he found just the one.

It was simple, white gold with diamonds gathered in the center, surrounding a larger stone. He could envision it resting on your ring finger, a constant reminder that very soon, he'd be able to call you his wife.