Ice Cream

After desperately trying to calm Peter down for hours, Tony decided the only way the kid was going to listen to him was if he took him out for ice cream.

"Hey, Peter. You want your ice cream now? You've been really good and you deserve a treat." He offered. Peter's head poked up from where he'd been crying into his knees. He hiccuped.
"I- Ice cream?" He managed to get out softly, face red from crying.

"Yeah. Happy managed to grab me some clothing from your home. Pepper is going to help you get dressed while I sign you out of the hospital, okay?" He gestured to the red head beside him and Peter scrutinized her. Finally, he nodded and reached for the plastic bag with his clothing in her arms.
"I'll be back soon." Tony smiled, standing and making his way to the door. Peter didn't even acknowledge his exit, too focused on the clothing.

As he walked down the white halls of the hospital, his brain tried to make sense of what all had happened that day. What if Tony had decided he never wanted to go after all or he'd forgotten there were two more kids... Peter would still be in danger.
Part of him wished he'd come a lot sooner.

He was finishing up at the reception desk when Pepper and Peter emerged from the elevator. His smile was back, brighter than ever and he was pointing everything out to Pepper, who was obviously trying her best to match his overenthusiastic behaviour.

"Stark!" The boy waved, letting go of her hand and racing across the hallway to him. Tony caught him as he came closer, picking him up and examining his choice of clothing. A blue and red onesie with a spider on the front.

"This my superhero suit. I'm a superhero, just like Iron Man." His blue eyes were lit with excitement when he noticed Tony examining the "suit". "I'm Spiderman." He giggled.

He hadn't known Peter was an Iron Man fan and he doubted Peter even realized that's who was currently holding him tightly to his chest.
"Come on buddy. We've got ice cream and a special surprise waiting for you." He promised and Peter bounced happily in his arms, waving at Pepper and shouting that he was so tall now.

When they pulled up at the ice cream parlour, Happy turned to Tony with a concerned look.
"Should I come with you, just in case a mob swarms... Peter won't like that very much." Both of their eyes fell on the boy who was gazing out the window happily, oblivious to their conversation.

"I think I can handle it. I've got the glasses..." He hoped that'd be enough to conceal his identity long enough for Peter to get some ice cream.
They climbed out of the car, Peter explaining to Tony why Iron Man was better than any superhero, little hands gripping onto his shoulders as he tried to convince the older male. Although Tony didn't need much convincing.

He was surprised they were able to get in, order and grab their ice cream before anyone noticed. But as they left the parlour, someone grabbed onto Tony.
"Mr. Stark!" The paparazzi's excited voices cut over Peter's ramblings. Immediately he went to pull Peter closer as he'd had to put him down in order for them to walk with their ice creams, but he found only air. He looked around frantically for the boy, shoving reporters angrily. Where could he have gone?
"Stark!" A familiar, quiet voice called. Peter was amongst a bunch of reporters who were yelling in his face and grabbing him for pictures at all different angles.
"Peter!" He rushed forward scooping up the boy. Somewhere on one of the outdoor tables he'd abandoned his ice cream, but Peter was still clutching his tightly,news darting everywhere nervously.

They made it back to the car quickly, Happy cursing in the front seat and Pepper shaking her head.
"They have no respect. They're like a bunch of animals." She snorted in distaste as Tony buckled Peter in, ice cream and all.
"Let's just go." He snapped, climbing in on the other side. Peter was silent until they pulled out of the parking lot.

"We need to go back, Mr. Stark." He gasped suddenly. The man turned to him, eyebrows raised.
"Why's that Peter?" He gently coaxed him and Peter frantically waved his arms.
"You left your ice cream! We're supposed to eat together!" His blue eyes were wide, looking like they might burst into tears at any second. Tony smiled softly.
"That's okay, Peter. I wasn't very hungry anyway... It's probably melted by now." He explained, but Peter wasn't having it.
The 5 year old thrust his spoon into Tony's hand, eyes bright. "Share." He insisted.

"Peter..." He tried to hand the spoon back.
"Just one bite?" He begged, holding the cup up with those bright blue eyes. Tony sighed.
"Alright one. Then you have to eat the rest." He pointed the spoon accusingly and Peter giggled, nodding.
He scooped up a tiny bit and ate it, handing the spoon back to Peter who, now satisfied that he'd done his part in sharing, devoured the rest.
He was just finishing as they pulled up to Stark Tower and his eyes went wide as he realized where they were.

"Iron Mans home!" He squealed excitedly, wriggling under his seat belt.
"You want to go see Iron Man?" Pepper asked, clearly teasing since he'd already met Iron Man. But Peter, not understanding the joke, nodded excitedly.
"Come on then, let's go see Iron Man." Tony laughed as he unbuckled an excited Peter.
This could only end in disaster, but he loved seeing Peter's smile so he wouldn't have it any other way.