The Fag Swag {17}

I went into Spanish class and sat next to Molly. I hadn’t really told her much about yesterday. It wasn’t my business to tell about Phil’s mom.

                I looked over as Angel entered the room and got up. He was Phil’s best friend. Surely he had to know about Phil’s mom.

                “Angel,” I said, stepping over to him.

                “Nick,” he said with a nod, sitting down.

                I sat next to him and nervously ran a hand through my hair. “I went to Phil’s yesterday. He thought his mom had work, but she didn’t.”

                His eyes widened a little and he sighed. “She got mad at him, didn’t she?” he asked sadly. I nodded.

                “He’s abused. You know he is. Why doesn’t anyone tell the cops on his mom?” I asked, frowning deeply. “She really hurts him, Angel.”

                “Telling the cops wouldn’t solve anything, Nick. It would just make everything ten times worse. Trust me. Phil’s mom has always treated him like that. He thinks it’s normal. He doesn’t understand that he’s a victim of child abuse. If she hurts him without a reason, he convinces himself that it was an accident. I’ve tried to tell him, but he just gets mad,” he said quietly.

                “Is she the reason he has all his mood swings?” I asked, even though it was kind of an obvious answer.

                Angel shrugged and nodded. “Pretty much. It’s also why he likes tough people. It’s familiar to him. Nice guys, like you, just make him suspicious and uncomfortable.”

                “She’s broken his arm before, hasn’t she?” I asked, remembering her threat to Phil yesterday.

                Angel bit his lip nervously and nodded. “Yea. When he was 11 years old, he accidentally knocked over a bottle of her vodka. It broke on the floor and she got really mad at him. She broke his arm and left him at the house alone. He called me and my dad took him to the hospital. We said he fell out of a tree.”

                “Your parents know and don’t say anything?” I asked in shock.

                Angel nodded. “Like I told you, it wouldn’t help anything. They know that,” he said defensively. “If it would help Phil, we’d tell. But it would just make his situation even worse. Let it drop Nick. Please.”

                I nodded slowly and went back to my seat. Phil hadn’t been in school today, and that worried me. I had forgotten to ask Angel if he knew where Phil was.

                I threw open my front door and went to my bedroom. I sat down and rubbed my eyes, feeling exhausted. I had stayed up most of last night, torturing myself with thoughts of Phil and Kenneth. Why did I get all the crazy people?

                My phone buzzed and I flipped it open, scanning the text. I sighed and jumped up. My friend wanted me to meet him at the park. Maybe I could go and get my mind off of things for a little.

                “Mom, I’m going to the park!” I called.

                “What do I do if that crazy boy comes back?” she asked, poking her head out of the kitchen curiously.

                “Tell him I’m not home. But don’t tell him where I am, and don’t let him wait for me,” I said sternly.

                “Oh Nicky,” she giggled. “You and your crazy boyfriends. It’s a good thing me and your daddy are normal! Goodness, you couldn’t handle more crazy people after that Kenneth boy.”