2.8 - miss priss

Michael was sent into me after Ashton left. He looked like he had just woken up and judging by the way he was rubbing his eyes with the sleeve of his sweater he had probably fallen asleep on poor Calum. Well, or lucky Calum, depending on how you looked at it.

We sat opposite each other at their breakfast counter, eating in silence.

“I got a text from Griff today…” Michael’s hands froze whilst holding a piece of toast covered in beans to his face. He was looking at me, concern flittering across his features. I made a noise that suggested he carry on; my mouth was still full from my last bite.

“It was about River’s funeral.” I gulped, forgetting I still had food in my mouth that I hadn’t chewed enough. Immediately, I started to choke, my eyes watering. A glass of water was shoved in my hand and I tried to take a few sips to force the food down my throat.

Once I had finished coughing, I met Michael’s eyes. “What about it?” Don’t cry Natalie. He thinks you’re strong now so live up to it.

“It’s next Saturday. His mum never knew you so didn’t send you an invite but Griff talked to her. She said it’s okay for you to come.” He put the food that was still on his fork into his mouth and I watched his cheeks move with every chew. I didn’t feel as hungry as I was before.

“You don’t have to go, you could stay with the girls or –“

“I want to go.” I pushed myself away from the counter, scraping the food into the bin and placing the plate in the sink. “I have to go to work, ask for time off. See ya.” I practically ran to Michael’s room, pulling on my jeans from yesterday and discarding his sweater for one of his tank tops. It was hot and I didn’t want to wear the same shirt two days in a row.

I waved goodbye to the other boys as I rushed out of their building. Swearing to myself, I realised that the boys had driven me here in their van so I went in search of a bus stop that lead into town. I hated waited for buses, it gave me a lot of time to think.

I was scared to meet River’s family. I was the last one to see him breathing; I was the first one to see him dead. Why would he even take heroin? He didn’t seem to me like he was a massive drug obsessed idiot. Anger boiled in my stomach aimed towards Griff who I was sure was the one that provided him with the stupid drug in the first place. How dare he even plan to show his god damn face at that funeral!

I got on the bus and to work in an angry haze.

“Someone piss in your cereals?” Mark had been working in the shop longer than me and often shared shifts with me.

“Shut it. Is Georgina in?” I hated the manager. She was only 22, her mum having put in a good word for her, and acting like a high school  bitch. Constantly dressed in the sluttiest outfits, she walked around the place like everyone wanted her. News flash, no one did! She even talked like one of those aggravating blonde bimbos in American high schools and I was sure I was going to throttle her one day.

“Nah, she has a meeting with some designer. Cute guy by the way,” He winked at me. It was a known fact Mark was gay even though he had never actually said it out loud. He was confident and it gave me someone to bitch to about the other employees when I had to work in the front of the shop. “I’ll come and get you when she’s free?”

Nodding my head, I made my way to the back of the store. I was happy to be able to turn my music up high and dance around, forgetting about things for a little while. I still loved my job and, due to Georgina’s obsession with being cool, she made sure we were always paid extra.

15:34 Michael: Why did you leave so quickly?

I frowned at the text. How do you tell someone you felt like you were suffocating?

15:52 Natalie: Work

15:54 Michael: I miss you. Come here.

There was a picture attached to the message and I enlarged it to find a posing Michael in his bed. He looked like a fool, a hot fool that’s for sure but still a fool. I was laughing as I typed a reply. (picture to the side)

16:02 Natalie: Get lost, poser. I’m meant to be working!

16:06 Michael: Sorry, did I distract you with my overwhelming hotness?

16:10 Natalie: You wish! I need to go home tonight. See you soon though, yeah?

16:12 Michael: I’ll be counting down the minutes, babe.

I was still giggling at our conversation when Mark walked in a good ten minutes later.

“Good to see you’re in a better mood. You need it because Miss Priss is being a right bitch. Have fun!” He grinned at me as he flounced back out of the door. Surprisingly, the smile didn’t disappear as I approached the annoying manager.

“Georgina, can I talk to you?” She whirled round to me, bitch-mode clearly engaged by the look her face.

“You think I have time right now, Isabella?” Her nostrils flared as she took in my haphazard outfit – something I knew she wouldn’t approve off. I ignored her calling me the wrong name, it happened often.

“I’m really sorry. I have a funeral to attend next Saturday and was going to ask for the day off?” Georgina didn’t reply, she was still staring at me.

“Can you speak in public? Can you do like, paperwork and stuff? Take calls?” I nodded slowly, I was pretty sure none of it was in my job description.

“Office! Now!” Her voice was that shrill kind of excitement cheerleaders had cheering for the cutest guy on the team: hideous.

I followed her silently whereas her heels were clicking loudly against the floor. She near enough dragged me into her office once she had opened the door, making sure to close it quickly afterwards.

“Now, I’ve been falling behind in paperwork and overrun with so many meetings,” She paused dramatically as if she thought I should feel sorry for her. She was the one that booked herself up, the idiot. Once she realised she wasn’t going to get any sympathy from me she continued.

“I know you don’t have school anymore and have your own apartment? Would you be interested in a stay-at-home promotion? It’ll consist of paperwork and phone calls, maybe some skype calls from time to time for people out of the country. Sound good?” She barely waited for my nod as she pulled sheets out of her desk. “All we need is your e-mail and phone number and then you can look forward to your raise!” She grinned at me as I took the paper.

All I could think about was having enough money spare to definitely go on the Survival Weekend trip and actually get something for Michael’s birthday as a present. Writing down my number, I started to wonder about what the hell I could get him.

I needed to go food shopping and sighed when I realised I would have to use to bus to do so. Once on, I searched up the band’s name on my keek app. I was intrigued to see what they actually uploaded.

I watched a few of the most recent ones, supressing giggles at their weirdness but being thoroughly entertained until I had reached the supermarket.

I knew I had a smile on my face all the way round the shop and back home but I couldn’t get rid of the unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God michael is so hot, i'd faint if I got that picture sent to me by him holy shit but hey, I really wanted to post this bc I want to see if anyone makes any connections.. :D

thank you for reading this, seriously i can't thank you enough! could you guys check out my new 5sos fanfic Ding Dong Dead? :D

next update will actually be on wednesday this time xo