22. Occasions

The day had come, my 18th birthday. A day were I could forget about my boy troubles and focus on me. At noon, Jake knocked on my door, trying to persuade me to come out with him somewhere. "Alright," I finally agreed to him.

We drove down to La Push beach, for a bit of a walk, I sat in the car for a moment and looked out the window, remembering about how Seth gave me my promise ring in the exact same place. I eventually got and started to walk, we talked for hours until finally we decided to head back. We arrived back at my house to find the house was in total darkness. I walked further into the house, Jake behind me, clicked on the light and all I heard was,"SURPRISE!" My friends and family shouted. I was overwhelmed and shocked, all I could do was smile. "I've got you something," Charlie announced.

"You didn't need to get me anything!" I argued.

"Well it's not just off me, but Sue, Josh and Leah, and you need it" He said leading me outside to find a red Jeep CJ-8 scrambler outside.

"Thank you." I said hugging Charlie.

"It's ok, I'm just glad to see you smiling again, I've been worried."

"I'm sorry for worrying you when I was in that accident, I promised that something like that will never happen again." I whispered, breaking our embrace and walking inside.

Emily had made a cake again with '18' candles sticking out. I sat down at the table and everybody started singing happy birthday to me. I started to laugh as Jake, Quil, Embry and Paul sang in comic voices. "Make a wish!" Bella smiled. I looked across the table and exchange glances with Seth, closed my eyes made a wish and blew out the candles.

The party started to pick up- Sam and some other older Quileute boys had brought alcohol- I walked over to Josh, who had a small glass of gin. Leah was sat on sofa, resting drinking some tea, laying her hands on her 4 month bump. "So did you like you present?" Josh asked.

"Yeah, thanks." I thanked them.

"How's the baby?"

"He's fine." Smiled Leah.

"He?" I said excited.

"Yeah we found out today. But listen we're worried about you."

"Me?"

"You and Seth and the whole engagement thing."

" I'm distraught."

"Go tell him then, oh, and take this," Josh said passing me the glass of gin," you'll need it for some Dutch courage."

"Thank you." I said swigging the gin and setting it down on the table. I walked into the kitchen to find Seth, by himself, pouring a drink. "Hey."

"Hey."

"Hey, how are you?"

"Cut the crap Seth, let's just talk. I know you still love me, because when we were doing our science project you tried to kiss me. But after a couple of weeks you seem to want to marry Melissa. "

"I know, I still love you."

"Then why are you hurting me like this? Why are you marry Melissa ?"

"Because I have to."

" Nobody has to do something they don't want to."

"I do! Because I've knocked up Melissa !" He almost screamed.

My eyes narrowed, I removed the promise the ring off my finger and threw it at him,"Here, saves you paying for a wedding ring." I muttered.

"Amelia! Em,Em!" He called after me.

Once again he had humiliated me, why me? He had slept with her. Why? I felt a tear trickling down my check and shuffled away from the kitchen. Just as I came out, I seen Melissa sat on the sofa next to Ben almost flirting as he played with her hair. I bumped into Jake as I walked across the living room, "Did Seth tell you?"

"Yeah how did you..."

"He was worried about it,he came to me for advice."

"You do know I'm not going to the wedding because I never want to see him again!"