16. Hiking

...Until... the door handle turned and Jacob's voice echoed around,"Hey I heard someone was ordering pizz...." He came to a stop when he noticed us, we both move away from each other and Seth's hand moved from the back of the sofa and pretended that he was stretching. Suddenly the door bell rang signalling the arrival of our pizza," I should get that," I mumbled. As I started plating up the slices, Jacob had a quiet word with me in the kitchen. "Are you serious, you're both seeing other people?"

"I wasn't really going to kiss him."

"You sure looked like it." I just ignored him as I picked up our plates, he grabbed my arm, " please think about what your doing."

That night as I lay in bed, all I could thing about was Seth, how it was like before I went to Oxford. Unable to get asleep, I went downstairs to get some water, and just as I returned to my room something caught my eye. It looked liked the promise ring that Seth gave me was sat on the edge of my desk. It can't of been the same promise ring because I gave it back to him at the wedding. He must of placed on my desk when I was talking to Jake. My thumbed smoothed over the engraved word 'forever' that was wrote in the inside of ring. But I had to snap out of it I had a boyfriend already and I couldn't trust Seth.

***

Friday after school, I rode to the Newton's because Charlie asked me to pick something he ordered but I had feeling it was my hiking boots. I walked up to the counter and I was greeted by a boy in his late teens or early twenties." Hi, I've come to pick up an order for Charlie swan."

"Ok, erm you'll just have to sign here." He murmured. I picked up the pen on the counter and scribbled my name on the piece of paper. He picked it up and gazed at the name as he went to the back of the shops. He came out with a shoe box shaped package, "Amelia swan?" He wondered as a he placed the package down on the counter. "Are you related to Bella swan?"

"Yeah, I'm her cousin."

"I'm Mike Newton, I used to go school with her. How's she doing?"

"Yeah, good."

It hit me, if Nick turned me I could never see any of my friends or family anymore, I don't know if Sophie, my closest and oldest friend would even like me anymore.

On Saturday morning I rode to the Cullens as I wasn't going hiking until the afternoon and also I needed a favour. I looked for Emmett and Alice directed me to the garage, where I found Emmett and Jasper working on Rosalie's car ," It's a very nice jeep." I interjected. Scrolling my finger across the bonnet of his car.

"Well what can I say I've got great taste." Emmett gloated.

"And I'm wondering, could I borrow it for hiking this afternoon, you know because I haven't got a car an all."

"What can I get in return?"

"Erm, I don't know, what about I give you a drive in the next car I get."

"That'll just have to do then," he sighed tossing me the keys. " Take care of her"

I rolled my eyes as I got into the Jeep, and I swear I heard Jasper laugh, and that was very rare.

I drove in Emmett Jeep not to far from Charlie's house to meet the rest of them at a clear opening. "Hey guys." I greeted them. Ben and Tyler smiled at me as I arrived. Then we headed off, I was always at the front of the group because I knew most of the trails. Half way into the hike I realised I'd lost my phone because it wasn't in my jeans pocket. "I think I've lost my phone, I'm just going to walk back to get it."

"Do want us to wait for you?" Summer asked.

"You're alright, I'll just catch up."

"Are you sure your alright going alone? 'cause its getting dark." Tyler asked concerned.

"Yeah, I'm a big girl, I can look after myself." I answered him.

I walked for about 10 minutes, when I came to an opening, where the moon lit up something in the meadow, it was my phone. I ran in a hurry to go get it, as I picked up my phone, I heard a loud growl in the trees.

A large six foot creature came closer in the trees but I couldn't see it as I was on the opposite side of the meadow. I knew what this was, it was one of the Quileute boys playing a joke on me. "C'mon guys I know it's one of you."

As it started to approached me, I realised that it wasn't a shapeshifter as it walked on two legs and its back was hunched, although it ran on all fours. It looked like a Caine, with padded feet, and jaw structure that resembled a dog.

Fear struck me down my body forcing me not to move as it came closer and started sniffing around my face. I kept my breathing shallow and my movements to a minimum. Suddenly something grabbed its tail and it swung its body around started fighting with it. This something was three wolves, Jacob, Quil and Embry, I could tell by the colour of the fur. As the animal swung around to fight with Jacob, it's tail hit me, knocking on the ground. I scrambled on the grass towards the boys, when I felt something grab me around the ankle, and dragged me back through the grass. Then it flipped me on my back, ready to grab me,when Jake started biting it around the ribs. Quil and Embry phased back to help me stand up.

But when I turned around Jake was groaning on the floor. I ran over to him to find that he had a large bite on his chest...