Chapter 23: Hormones and Hearts

Jack’s POV

It’s late in the afternoon, when Anna wakes up. She’s fallen asleep on top of me, her head on my chest. I kiss her awake, and I get a sleepy smile in response.

“Hey.” I whisper in her ear. “Bates is upstairs, switching between talking to Tara, and popping in and looking after Kait.”

She perks up then. “Really?” She asks, smiling.

“I’m worried about Kait, so are you. Dan is busy watching her. Bates, like I said, is not watching us. He’s not even paying attention to the fact that we’re down here.”

“What’s your point?”

“No one’s coming to check on us.” I say, wiggling my eyebrows at her.

She giggles, a smile erupting on her face. She moves so that she’s sitting on my lap, facing me. “I think that some alone time is good, don’t you…?” She asks, running her fingers down my chest, and stopping just before she gets below my waist.

I don’t even hesitate this time, pulling her into a kiss, one where I don’t even know what we’re doing, but she’s tugging on my bottom lip, her hands working their way into my hair, and suddenly, I’m not sure exactly where my hands end up, but I know it’s not exactly her stomach. Try higher, then we’re getting somewhere. She moans into my lips, then pulls away, asking. “What’s going on with Kait?”

“It doesn’t matter.” I say, quickly moving my hands away. I don’t even want to think-.

“Where were your hands just now?” She asks, narrowing her eyes.

“Somewhere they won’t be going back.”

She pouts. “Not fair. And anyway, I need you.”

And of course, she’s said the magic word. It’s all I need to hear. I’m not sure if it’s the hormones or stress developing into something else, but right now, I couldn’t care less. I pull her back into the kiss. I can feel the heat of her body against mine, can smell the scent of shampoo, which smells like oranges, and I can feel her lips, feather-soft against mine. She tastes like mint and chocolate, the overall feeling of the moment is sensuous.

“Question?” She asks, breaking away, so fast it leaves me dizzy.

“What?”

“Does your room have a lock on the door?” She asks, her eyes wide with desire, and need. I can’t believe it, but apparently, we spark the same feelings in each other. Her hair is pushed back from her face, falling in a glossy curtain, her eyes lit up brighter than the stars.

“Yeah.” I say slowly, unable to form words. “I’m fairly certain.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” She asks. She climbs off of me, and still panting, I follow her into my own room. She clicks the lock once I’m inside, and asks. “Which bed is yours?”

“It’s that one.” I say, nodding towards the bed in the far corner of the room. The bed is made, whereas Dan’s bed is a mess, as usual. Anna grabs my hand, dragging me over there. I sit down, but she trips, and lands on top of me. My breath catches in shock, and we’re staring into each other’s eyes, wide-eyed. She clearly can’t help it, reaching down, spanning the distance, and pressing her lips to mine. We’re full-on making out in seconds, and I’m not exactly sure where to put my hands.

Then I get an idea, wrapping my arm around her, and rolling over, so I’m on top of her. She breaks from the kiss in surprise.

“That’s better.” I tease, before she proceeds to kiss my smirk away. My hand somehow finds its way up the back of her shirt, coming to rest on the warm skin on the small of her back, while the other hand is bracing myself against the bed. Her hands are on my face, and she’s kissing me senseless. I finally am able to pull away, feeling extremely desiring of her. She sees the look in my eyes, her lips swollen from too many kisses, but her eyes are lit up, her cheeks flushed.