Chapter 12 - I've come alive

I’ve come alive

The limousine pulled up the back of The Golden Tiger, Louis and Harry were singing ‘Kiss You’ at the top of their lungs. Fans wouldn’t be impressed with the slurred, out of key, drunken rendition but Porter and Liam were in stitches as the lovers serenaded each other. 

Niall slid between Zayn and Liam, he leant to Liam and whispered. “I’m sorry.”

Liam smiled, he had sobered up… a little. “It’s okay.”

“We okay?” Niall asked, he swallowed his pride as he smiled at his best friend. “Really okay?” He twisted his fingers together, feeling a little unease at his uncontrolled feelings towards the devil turned goddess Dakota and what feeling anything for her truly meant.

Liam took Niall’s hand and squeezed it, “Really.”

Niall sighed, Thank God. He smiled, “Good.”

“Just stop hitting, you’re turning into Harry!” 

Harry frowned, “I heard that!” He was kissing Louis, straddling him but paused to tell Liam off. 

Liam chuckled and Niall relaxed next to the glitter covered dad-to-be. “Thanks.”

Liam leant closer, “You need to talk, I’m here.”

Niall smiled, “Thanks.” He avoided Liam’s gaze as he sighed, “Nothing to talk about.”

Liam frowned. 

“Seriously,” Niall forced a smile, forced his feelings back down his throat to rest in the pit of his stomach – alongside unease and disgust.

Liam rolled his eyes, “Okay,” he sighed. 

Niall smiled at Zayn, “Try not to blow your load over a lap dance.”

Zayn burst out laughing, the sound of his laughter soared over the music in the limousine as he spat his lemonade everywhere. “Ha,” he wiped at his mouth. “You’re funny, Horan.”

Niall smirked, “I bet I’ll get the hotter dancer.”

Zayn shook his head and held out his hand, “You’ll regret this.”

“What?” Niall asked. 

“I’ll sleep with one first!” Zayn proclaimed. 

Louis, panting as he kissed Harry with fervent touches and wandering hands rested his head against the leather seat and started laughing. “Not again!”

Niall took Zayn’s hand and squeezed it tightly, “You’re on.”

“Wait,” Liam leant forward, “What about…” His face stiffened.

“If you say Dakota,” Niall glowered, casting a quick glance at Porter. “I will hit you… again.”

Liam smirked, “No, Quinn.”

Niall soured, “Quinn is one of those…” He waved his hands in front of him, “Unattainable girls, you know.”

“No, I don’t,” Zayn said.

“You know, when she’s here it’s amazing but,” he stroked his chin. “She’s really secretive.”

“Aren’t we all,” Louis laughed gesturing to himself and Harry.

Niall laughed, “I could never tie her down. She’s like a beautiful balloon, she’ll always fly away.”

“If you wanted her, she’d stay,” Porter added. 

Niall rolled his eyes, “You just didn’t want Dakota?”

“I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know,” Niall smiled, you’re an asshole.

“Do you love Quinn?” Zayn asked. 

“As much as a guy could love a mermaid, if that makes sense.”

“What?” Zayn smiled, “Lads, look,” He pointed at Niall. “Niall’s the one being all deep instead of this glitter puff over here.”

Liam swatted at Zayn’s hand and looked at Niall, “What do you mean.”

Niall swigged down the rest of his beer and smiled, sedated. “You know, you can love a mermaid but if you try to go with her you’ll drown.”

“That’s deep,” Zayn nodded as he pulled out a bag of pink pills. 

“Oi,” Niall slapped his hand and gestured at Harry.

The car pulled to a stop, everyone’s eyes were on Harry. Harry’s eyes were on the pills in Zayn’s hand, Niall frowned. “Harry–“

Harry waved a hand, Louis was holding Harry’s waist tightly but Harry’s eyes were glued to the pills. Niall could see the restraint in his eyes, the wavering control. He could also see a flicker of the old Harry, the drug addicted, self destructive brunette. Niall wanted to punch Zayn senseless, but, he couldn’t blame him. Zayn was off his face, if he were sober he’d never bring out the pills. 

“You’re a fucking idiot,” Niall hissed. 

Zayn paled, “Harry I’m–“

“I’m fine,” Harry replied through gritted teeth.

“Look,” Zayn shoved them in his pocket, “Gone.”

Harry leant behind him, his face flushed as he noted all eyes on him and opened the limousine door. “I said I’m fine!” He snapped, aggression laced in his tone and he rushed out into the night. 

Louis shook his head, “Zayn.”

“I know,” Zayn groaned, “I’m an idiot.”

“I’m fine!” Harry shouted and they all jumped. 

“Take them here, don’t fucking pull that again,” Louis hissed. His eyes narrowed on Zayn, cheeks flushed and lips twisted into a scowl. “It’s bad enough I gave him tequila and–“

Harry stuck his head in, “If you’re all finished having your babysitters club meeting, can we go in?” He was stern, his eyes flickered to Zayn’s pocket once more before he grabbed Louis hand and yanked Louis from the limo. 

Zayn groaned as the door slammed. 

“Forget it,” Niall whispered, “They will.”

“They’re right, though,” Zayn hissed. “I’m an idiot.”

“A pretty one,” Porter laughed. 

“Give me one,” Niall hissed holding out his hand. 

“One last hooray?” Zayn suggested, bashful. 

Liam shook his head, “Not me, I’m gonna be a daddy, I need my wits about me.” 

They all smiled as the blue haired father to be clumsily climbed out of the car and stood with Louis and Harry who were arguing. 

Niall took the pill and thought of Dakota, no, he closed his eyes. You can’t think of her, ever. He popped the pill into his hand and washed it down with a bottle of water. “Time to dance, Malik!” Niall chuckled wickedly. 

Porter smiled absently as his phone began to ring, Zayn looked at the screen and sighed. “You should take it, man.”

Porter winced, “Should I?” He held it up to show Dakota’s smiling picture as it illuminated the screen. 

Niall swallowed the lump in his throat, “Yeah, you should.” Then he climbed out of the car and banished thoughts of her from his mind. He had strippers to think of, in fact he wanted to think of anything but Porter breaking Dakota’s heart and how every day he didn’t tell her how he truly felt, well… he was breaking his own heart.