"40"

So it happened when I was sitting down in the kitchen table. My textbooks were scattered all over the table and post it notes were everywhere. I was studying. Zeref was getting Nashi to sleep in the bedroom. Sitting with my legs crossed on a kitchen chair such as this hard wooden one got painful so I shifted. My phone was buzzing on the table. It was a call from Erza. Missed calls, I noticed I got some text messages and missed calls from Gray too.

From: Gray >:/
Lucy
He's awake.
The bastard's awake.

And I coughed up really bad choking on my ramen noodles. "Zeref! Holy shit. Natsu..." I'm so glad he's finally awake. It's been a full week since the incident. A full week that he's been in temporary coma. The doctor estimated at least a month or two. But a week. That's a miracle. I'm rushing towards the bedroom barefooted and wearing some shorts and morning but a baby pink sports bra.

It gets hot so I'm always wearing nothing but shorts in this house.

I try not to make too much sound because Zeref has got Nashi to go to bed. And her sleeping face is too cute. Daddy is going to be just fine, Nash. I smiled with the thought. "Zeref, he's awake." I whispered, with an overwhelming smile. Zeref got up a little to quickly and stumbled into a table almost dropping a lamp. After the sound ends we've become paralyzed as we look if Nashi has woken from the sound. But she doesn't make a sound, I could see her chest and belly rise and fall. She's fast asleep.

"Really?" Zeref says, eyes wide.

"Yes!" I nod, happily. He softly smiles and wraps his arms around me in a quick and heartfelt hug.

"Thank god. My little brother will be okay..." he says, calmly. We immediately get to the hospital. Zeref, me, Erza, Gray, Sting, Juvia, and Yukino. Which I'm not even sure if all of us could come in into the room. Sting was overwhelmed with shock when we had told him what happened to Natsu. I swear it was the first time I almost saw Sting actually cry. In front of everyone. Including even Yukino. Yukino looked concern and she wanted to know all the details.

Lisanna was surprised but she was very worried too. They were childhood close friends after all. Mira told us stories about Natsu when he was little so it was easy to tell she not only missed him but cared about him and hoped he would get better. Which he did, seeing as he's finally awake now.

"So, doc. Has sleeping beauty in there already awaken?" Sting asked. As we all gathered near the room Natsu has been staying for the past week.

"He has, yes. There's just one problem. You remember what I've mentioned before right?" The doctor looked at all of us. I think I knew what he was talking about. He had mentioned something about memory...loss...

"Okay. Who's going to feed him?" Sting said, we all have him a dirty look for joking around like that. But Erza looked like she was thinking deeply. Her mind wandering off.

"He's going to be alright, right?" Gray said. "Could we go in now?"

"Hold on, Gray. Let the doc explain what's going on with Natsu." Erza states. The doc looked thankful for Erza seeing as he gave her a smile. The doctor looks young. Very young. And he's got orange hair. I feel like I've known him before. Like I've met him a long time before. But I can't remember.

"Well, let me just say. Yes, Natsu will be fine. He has memory loss. Complete memory loss, he doesn't know anybody or even what happened to him or who he even is. We confirmed his identify with him. We gave him a checkup. He looks fine. I can't say enough when he'll get his memory back. But the first memories he'll start to remember are his childhood memories. It'll take some time for him to remember. It might...take a few years maybe..." he grew sympathetic seeing our expressions, "I'm very sorry everyone. Just don't stress him out too much with the remembering. Just do it from time to time."

"He doesn't know who he is?" Gray says, scoffing.

"He doesn't remember anyone..." Erza says, "We're like complete strangers to him. How could this be? Why?" She sounds like she might cry, and even I think I'm going to cry. There's a lump in my throat. A few years to fully regain everything...a few years. I can feel my lips quiver. I want to scream and shout. Why? Why Natsu? Why him?

"Amnesia?" Juvia says, bewildered.

"Natsu has amnesia?" Yukino frowned. She stares down at the floor with a puzzled face.

It was surprising really. But all seven of us were allowed to go in the room. Natsu was Natsu. But he wasn't. He was on his phone when we came in. When he looked up, there was something about his eyes that made the lump in my throat more painful. His green eyes scanned us. Not even that childish grin we've always known. He didn't grin, smile or say much. He looked lost. "Hey, Natsu. I mean, I know it's all too much. You being been diagnosed with amnesia and all. But this all to much for us too...we're your friends. Childhood friends, most of us." Gray scratches the back of his head. It's all quiet and awkward. We don't even know what to do or say.

Erza braver then us takes a few steps forward. "How are you feeling, Natsu?"

"I'm alright, I guess. Except...the fact that I don't even know who the fuck I am or who the fuck are you people." And then after a several moments, I choke out and start crying.

"Lucy..." Erza and Gray said.

"Hey, hey..." Yukino gently comforts me by grabbing my shoulder. "Calm down. It'll be okay." But it's not going to be okay. It really isn't. Natsu doesn't remember anyone. All his beloved friends and his childhood. Me and Nashi. Where do we all stand in his life now?

"I told him to be careful..." I said, with a trembling voice.

"But I mean, Lucy. You should've known from the beginning when he got you pregnant he's not the careful type." I couldn't even tell if Sting was joking. He has a dull smirk on his face and his eyes look flat with emotion. I think Sting's actually lost his sense of humor. Because he doesn't have the heart to even lightly laugh at the situation.

"Sting, you're not helping." Yukino said, coldly.

"I think it's a little strange. I mean we all do. Natsu even thinks so. Because he can't remember us. But why don't we just stay and talk with him. He's not going to remember. But at least he will at some point. That's what's important right? That he's alive and well." Juvia said.

"Shit, I'm so sorry for making you cry. I'm sorry I can't remember...you. What's your name?" Natsu was staring directly at me. His eyes fixated on me with genuine concern. Like he used to do.

I start crying some more when I run out the room. I'm so glad no one came after me. I go to the bathroom and cry there. "This isn't true...this can't be happening. Natsu?" I can't help but feel tears stream down my face. I try to wipe them away with my wrists but they keep coming. He was so upset about missing Nashi's birth that time. Now he's going to miss out on remembering everything about her.

I hear the door open. "Go away, Yukino...please."

"It's me." It's Erza, and the sound of her voice makes me cry harder for some reason.