Chapter 22

Chapter 22

             Why did people keep saying I was ‘using’ Mark? We were in a relationship together. How was I using him? Mark knew what I was doing when I was looking for a boyfriend so it shouldn’t count that I wasn’t trying to stop sleeping around and I hadn’t cheated on him at all. As far as I’m concerned, I didn’t have any devious underhanded plan to deceive Mark.

            I mulled over the idea for a bit longer. Maybe it did count that I was using him as a tool for my own purposes of rehabilitation from my slutty nature, but for some reason I couldn’t accept it. He knew what I was doing. He knew I only wanted to have fun and that nothing was supposed to get serious. Didn’t he?

            The doorbell rang and I headed downstairs to answer it. At the door was Wes standing there with his hands in his pockets and his eyes on the ground. I opened it, letting him come inside. Wordlessly, I shut the door and he took a seat on the couch. I took a seat on the chair near him.

            “Hey,” he started, looking up at me with a sad face that looked rather adorable.

            “I know Kim knows about what happened between us and she’s pissed at me.”

            “She’s pissed at me too,” he ran a hand through his curly blonde hair, I didn’t mean for her to find out. She asked and I didn’t know whether or not to lie. It was like she had a sixth sense when I didn’t answer immediately and she knew. Then I just couldn’t lie to her.”

            “Does Erica know too?”

            “I dumped Erica for Kim.”

            “What?” Why am I always the last to find these things out?

            “I dumped Erica for Kim.” He said more slowly.

            I rolled my eyes. “I heard you. I was just surprised. So where do you guys stand?”

            “She said she ‘needed some time.’” He used air quotes. “Where’s your other half by the way?”

            “What are you talking about?”

            “I’m talking about your boyfriend who you’ve been inseparable from this past week.”

            “Oh, he said he needed a break and stormed off. I haven’t seen him or heard from him since.” We were kind of in the same position, now that I thought about it.

            “You don’t sound too distressed.” Wes noted.

            “I’m not. I just miss him a little.” I admitted.

            “Most girls would be freaking out.”

            “I’m not most girls.”

            “I know.”

            “So why are you here, you could have just called?” I asked.

            He pouted. “Why can’t I just come over for a visit?”

            “I don’t know. Because you’re a temptation.”

            “Why would you say that? I had no intention of doing anything until you said that. It hadn’t even crossed my mind.”

            My eyes narrowed. “Really?”