Chapter 32

Chapter 32

            Over winter break, I literally begged my mom to let me transfer schools, but she said no. When she asked me why I wanted to transfer schools, I gave her a vague answer, telling her that there were some people bullying me. In her un-empathetic way, she told me that I should face my problems head on. In her defense, she didn’t know Carrie, but now I would have to find some other way to deal with her.

            I dropped contact with everyone during winter break except for Aiden who barely contacted me. He was always off who knows where doing who knows what and I didn’t want to pry. If he wanted me to know what he was doing, he would tell me, though I was slightly worried.

            When winter break was over, I began to feel the full force of the apprehension I had been ignoring. I did not want to go to school, but I got ready and went anyway.

            After I arrived at school, I didn’t want to leave my car. There were people everywhere as usual, but there was not one person I wanted to see in sight. I hoped Aiden was going to be at school today since he was my first line of defense against Carrie. She wouldn’t dare do anything when he was around.

            Putting my head on the steering wheel, I gathered myself. I had to at least appear confident in front of people or they would think that I was weak. Taking a deep breath, I grabbed my things and got out of the car and started towards the doors of the school.

            I should have stayed in the car. In fact, I never should have even went to school, but at the time, I didn’t know what would have awaited me.

            They tormented me. Sure it was the usual name-calling that people never seemed to get tired of, the notes, and the writings on the locker and my personal things, but I could always handle that. Although it hurt when people did those petty things, I could easily feign confidence. After years of practice, it came easily to me, but when people start to escalate things it was a lot harder to hold back my true feelings of anxiety.

            I didn’t think things would get any worse this week, but near the end of the week they did as I ended up locked in a janitor’s closet, trapped. Earlier that day, I was pushed from behind out of the blue. Initially, I thought it was some girl trying to fight, but I was wrong. There were three girls, Carrie’s friends, and they quickly shoved me into a closet and slammed a door in my face, injuring my nose as I had tried to stop them from closing the door.

            To keep my dignity and my sanity, I didn’t scream for someone to come open the door. I just turned on the light and sat up against the wall on the cold hard ground. My first thought was to call someone to come open the door, but of course there was no signal on my cell phone.

I was stuck and it was in between afternoon classes so I decided that when classes let out, I would knock on the door until someone opened it from the other side. That should have worked, but it didn’t.

With every second, I knocked on the door more frantically, but no one tried to open it for me. Strangely enough, I didn’t hear any footsteps. There should have been at least the sound of a few people walking through the hallway to get to class. It wasn’t like I was in a remote part of the school. Maybe they were just walking quietly.

“Please, open the door.” I finally said aloud, but that didn’t work either. I wondered what people were doing outside and if they even heard me. Then I wondered why they weren’t helping me. If I heard someone in distress, I would try to help them.

            If someone didn’t come, surely, the janitor would be back sometime soon. Or at least I hoped.

            That bitch, Carrie. I had half a mind to attack her, but I didn’t want to cause any more trouble. And besides, all of this would eventually end, right? It had to end sometime. Graduation would be at the end of the year and then I wouldn’t have to deal with her or anyone. I could go to college and start anew. That was a little ways away so all I had to do was endure.