Chapter 36

Chapter 36

I don’t know why I tried to call him, but I needed someone to talk to, someone that would make me happy. After everything that’s been happening, I needed to be cheered up. He was one of the only people who could easily make me smile and I wanted to smile. I wanted to feel something other than anxiety and gloom. When he didn’t answer the second time, I dialed again. The phone went to voicemail. A few seconds later, I received a text message from him.

Why are you calling me? He wrote.

Why did you quit? I responded.

He called me right after I asked him about quitting. I answered quickly.

“You don’t know. They didn’t tell you?” He asked.

I had no clue what he was talking about. “No one told me anything.”

He sighed. “Vicky saw us. That day when you were sitting on my lap, she was watching from the window, and she took pictures of us. She blackmailed me and told me if I ever came back to the school and talked to you again she would ruin my career as a teacher so I quit.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“I don’t blame you.”

“It’s completely my fault though.”

He sighed. “Don’t blame yourself, Callan. It was my fault too.”

I couldn’t help blaming myself. It was my fault because it was me who decided to mess around. I was a person who ruined people’s relationships, and now I was a person who ruined people’s lives. How could I not blame myself? Now the universe was punishing me with Dean. People had told me I would get what’s coming to me and now I was.

 “I’m sorry West. I’m sorry.” I repeated, my voice breaking.

“Are you crying?” He sounded surprised.

Tears ran down my cheeks. I had started without knowing. God, when did I become such a wreck?

“Stop it. It was not your fault. Come on, please don’t cry. Let’s talk about something else. What’s going on at school?”

“I don’t want to talk about school.”

“Tell me.” He coaxed. “You called to talk about something, didn’t you?”

“I was just having a hard time and I wanted to vent to you, but I can’t bother you with my problems anymore, not with all the trouble I’ve caused you.”

“You can still tell me. I’m right here and still willing to listen.”

“No. I should deal with this on my own. It’s my responsibility anyway.”

The doorbell rang downstairs.

“Fine, but Callan-”

“You don’t have to worry. I won’t ever call you again.”  

I hung up the phone and went to see who was at the door. When I came downstairs, the door was already open and my mother was standing in the doorway with a defensive posture, her arms folded across her chest.

“…and frankly, I don’t want you in my house.” She sounded angry.

I came further down the steps and saw that it was Ethan standing outside. “I just want to speak with her.”

“You think I’ll let you be alone with her after what I saw?!” Her voice was rising and I thought I should step in.

“Mom, calm down.” I said from the stairwell. “Just let me talk to him for a few minutes.” Ethan looked at me and probably noticed how terrible I looked. My eyes were probably puffy and I hadn’t done anything to my hair since I woke up this morning.