Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Why this year of all years? There has been an alumni day for the past two years and Dean didn’t bother to show up to either of those. What made him decide to come this year? I had half a mind to think that Carrie had something to do with it, but Carrie and Dean weren’t that close. Last I remembered, Dean hated Carrie though that could have changed. I groaned aloud. This was not what I wanted to spend the day thinking about. It took me a very long time to forget about Dean in the first place and now his name was floating around my head constantly. I tried to think of something else.

Where the fuck was Aiden? That was also another question that kept swirling around my mind. He never calls or texts me and I have only called him once and he didn’t answer. I was beginning to think that maybe he didn’t really care anymore. Thinking about him was something I didn’t want to do either.

Another issue I was dealing with was Kim. She was being distant lately and I could swear that there was something going on with her and Wes even though they seemed completely normal. Something was definitely off. When Anna’s more normal than Kim, something is obviously wrong.

Three days after alumni day, thoughts of Dean slowly began waning, but my relief was not to be. Mike approached me and told me that Aiden had been coming to basketball practices for the past two days so naturally I thought to drop by. Mike wasn’t on the team, but he was going anyway because he had to drop off something for one of the other boys. We went to the gym together.

When I got there, I briefly noticed Aiden before another sight caught my attention. I froze. Air swelled in my throat and I couldn’t breathe for a moment. Why wasn’t he gone? I couldn’t fathom why he would still be here until I finally saw what he was wearing. Dean was standing in a polo and sweats like he was a coach or something. He even had a whistle around his neck. Shit. He really was a coach.

He saw me staring at him, but I quickly looked back at Aiden who was staring at me. A ball was being passed to him, but he didn’t catch it, pausing when he saw me. It went past him, towards me and landed at my feet.

The whole game fell apart and the coach started yelling at everyone. I picked up the ball and threw it at Aiden. He caught it. Dean was walking towards me already and I mentally panicked, unprepared to deal with him. Mike noticed how uncomfortable I was.

“Callan!” Wes said, running over and hugging me before Dean got to me. Wes was the only one who seemed happy to see me, however, a lot of the guys were staring. The few freshmen on the team were practically drooling.

“Hi.” I hugged back awkwardly and quickly since too many people were staring.

“Are you aware that this is a closed practice?’ Dean asked us or me. At least he was looking at me when he asked it.

“I needed to return something to Ethan,” Mike said, eyeing Dean before going over to Ethan who was standing at the far end of the court.

“Coach, I need fifteen.” Aiden asked.

“Ten. Hell, everybody take ten since the whole exercise is ruined now.”

Aiden walked over and grabbed my hand, pulling me off to the side. I watched Dean who was staring at our hands curiously.

“Did you get the text I sent you?” Aiden asked.

“What text?”

“The one where I told you I was skipping classes for a few days and the one where you were supposed to meet me after school yesterday.”

“No.” What the hell was he talking about?

“I tried to wait for you, but I had somewhere to be.”