Chapter 4

Charlie's POV

After our day of fun (sarcasm), he got back to the lodging house. There were newsies everywhere doing what they usually did. Talking, rolling dice, smoking, and laughing. I sat next to Race and after a couple of minutes, Skittery came.

"Hey, Charlie," Skittery yells getting my attention.

"Yes?" I reply.

"How come Bell don't talk?" he asks taking a seat next to me.

"Probably because of her dad."

"What happened with her dad?"

"That's not my story to tell, but know this: many people lied to her and cheated her. Don't be one of those people. She only tells her story to people she trusts. But she will come around. Just give her some time. Alright?" it's true. Trust is a big thing for her. She hasn't moved on or coped with her mum's passing even though it was a year ago.

....

Belle's POV

The next day, we were all invited to a small get together by some guy named Spot from Brooklyn.

Once we got there, Charlie went to talk to Race and Rosie went to talk to Mush so I walked aimlessly through the crowd until I bumped into someone. I looked up to him and started to back away until he called after me.

"Hey, who are ya?" I looked into his dark eyes that were staring right into me. I was speechless. Not that I would talk in the first place, but I was physically not able to speak if I wanted to which I don't. I tried to back away as slowly as possibly but with every step I took, he only got closer.

"When I speak to ya, you answa," he yelled. He seemed- is intimidating. I am beyond frightened by now as I hear those words I thought I'd never have to hear again. Scenes flashed before me as tears threaten to fall. No. Not again.

Skittery's POV

I start looking for Bell as I got bored with conversation I was having. My eyes are attracted to Spot's loud voice that dominates the other newsies' voice. I start walking towards the noise and see who he's yelling at. Bell.

"When I speak to ya, you answa," he yelled earning the attention of others. She looked scared to death as she tries to move further and further away from him. She doesn't know what Spot is capable of...

Without thinking, I jumped in front of Bell and shielded her from Spot.

"What ah ya doin', Skittery?" he asks me. What am I doing? Why am I doing this? There's just something about her...

"Helping 'er." I state.

"Why don't she talk?" He asks taking a step back.

"Good question." and with that said, I lead her away from Spot. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders as we walked. She wrapped her smaller arms around my waist and held onto me.

"Let's get outta hea," I whispered in her ear and she nodded.

We quickly got back to Manhattan and then to the lounge. I sat her down on her bed and then I sat down right next to her. I didn't let go of her until I knew she was okay which she wasn't. A few tears fell down her cheek and I wiped them away with my thumb. Our faces were so close that our noses were only a few centimeters away. I looked into her deep brown eyes and I knew why I helped her. I know why I left all my best friends to just get her away from Spot. And in that moment, everything made sense and it was only us. I could hear her soft breathing. I put a piece of her long dark hair behind her ear. Then I did something I thought I would never do. I kissed her. And she kissed me back. Our lips moved in sync as her hands moved to my neck and deepened the kiss. I held onto her waist bringing her closer as well. We both pulled away as we tried to catch our breathes. She smiled up at me which I gladly returned. She removed her hands as I did the same. She looked down at her lap where her hands were. She looked back up at me and I grabbed one of her hands and held into it. We continued just smiling at each other.

"It's gettin' late. You should get some rest." I said quietly to her and she nodded. I got up to leave as she moved further up her bed to sleep.

"I'll just leave," I told her. But before I could leave, she grabbed my wrist and I turned around.

"No, please stay." All it took was for her to say those three words and my life turned upside down. She wanted me to stay. She lied back down and I lied right next to her. She cuddled up to my side as I wrap an arm around her.

"Thank you," she told me. She moved up to softly kiss my cheek and then she moved back to her original position. She's talking. She's actually talking to me.

"I used to live in a nice house and I went to school. But my dad was abusive. He would hurt my mom. She always wanted to leave, but she could never. Then my dad sent my mom to the hospital because of his beatings, but he said she fell down the stairs. She lost too much blood and died. Once she died, my dad abused me and treated me terribly. I tried to tell so many people to help me but they never did. I was stuck. Then one night it got so bad that he threw something at me. He threw a base at me. One of the pieces cut my leg real bad. I went unconscious. I still have a scar. Next thing I knew I was in the hospital. My dad abandoned me there. I left the hospital that night and found Charlie and Rosie. They were the only people in my life besides my mom that actually cared. But then I met you and you seemed like you actually cared. You were so nice to me and I never knew why. People usually couldn't care less about the girl in the corner who doesn't talk. But you were so sweet and then you comforted me when I had a nightmare of that night. When we sold papers together I just wanted to get to know you better. I know we just met a couple days ago, but I really like you, Skittery. I know it sounds crazy," she finishes quietly and looks into my eyes. She smiles up at me and I smiled back.

"It doesn't sound crazy at all. Ever since you showed up, you just seemed hurt and I wanted to fix that. For some reason that I know now I wanted to make you happy. There was something about you that attracted me to you. And now I know that I always want you to be happy. I really like you, too." I gently kissed her forehead as if she would break if I put too much pressure on her. I never wanted this moment to end. I just want life to stop so I could be with her forever. I always wish to be by her side and protect her. I want to protect her from all the cruel people that could hurt her. I never want her to be hurt or sad again. I always want to see that smile and hear her voice. Her melodic voice that makes my heart beat a bit faster each time. She rested her head on my chest as I drew small circles with my finger on her shoulder. This moment I will never forget. this moment is priceless and I wouldn't give this moment up for a million dollars. I would give this moment up for all the money in the world. She slower drifts off to sleep in my arms. I smile to myself knowing that I made her happy. That she talked to me. That she is mine. She makes me happy and now I have something to live for. Bell.