Chapter 18

Charlie's POV

We pulled away, but we still were very close to each other. Our noses were only centimeters away as we gazed into each others' eyes.

"Charlie, will ya be me goil?" he asked after a moment of silence.

"Yes," I replied. I gave him a quick peck on the lips and pulled away.

"It's getting late. We should get going," I whispered to him as he nods. We both stood up and started to walk away. His hand immediately found mine. We soon got to the lodging house.

"Goodnigh'," he whispered.

"Goodnight," I whispered back. We both smiled and climbed into bed trying to be quiet so we don't wake up the others.

The next morning was the same as yesterday. We got up, got ready, and got our papers. Jack and I stole glances at each other as we did so.

I was about to walk away after getting my papers as someone called my name. And I immediately know who it was.

"Charlie," I turned around to see Race walking towards me.

"Yes?" I asked as he caught up to me.

"What's goin' on between you an' Jack? I saw yous all dis mornin' watchin' each otha," he asked me.

"Oh... um... we are together now," I said. I saw his face fall a little. What was it? Anger? Surprise? Jealousy?

"Oh. Alright den. See ya lata." he turned and walked away not giving me time to reply. Why was he acting like that? These questions filled my mind and stopped me from moving. I watched him walk away from me until he was gone for good. And I knew that was the end. That was the end of the hope. Hope that we could still end up together.

I walked away and began to sell my papers. I needed to get him off my mind. But every time I do, he comes back in. I try my best to put him in the back of my mind and keep him there.

Mabel's POV

I finished selling my papers early. I was eager to see Spot. I wanted to tell him how I really felt. It took a lot if thinking and time to get this much courage to tell him. I am pretty sure he likes me back.

I walked up to the dock but immediately stopped when I saw him. A sob escaped my lips as I saw him kissing another girl. He pulled away from her and turned to me. He saw me and immediately his eyes went wide. He started walking towards me but I just backed away. I couldn't look at him and I most definitely don't want to talk to him.

"Mabel, it's not what it looks like-" he tries to say. I shake my head and turn around. I run as fast as I could back to the lodging house. I just needed to get away from him. How could he do this? I guess I was wrong. I guess he doesn't like me. I soon got back and went right up to my bed. I laid down not caring about anything else. Another sob came out and tears were streaming down my face. I should've known. I shouldn't have been so stupid. I closed my eyes wishing this would all go away. I slowly drifted off to sleep with tears running down my face.

A-N- Thank you all for reading!! please comment and vote!! I love you all!!