Chapter 12

Bell's POV

Skittery and I walked to the lodging house hand in hand. The whole way, we snuck glances at each other. This is how life is supposed to be like. This is how I want my life to be like.

We soon got there and made our way up to the beds. Everyone seemed to be asleep as we got in our beds. I looked over at Skittery one last time and saw him already asleep. I smiled to myself knowing everything is going to be alright.

Kloppman came and woke us up early, like he usually does. As we got ready, many of the boys noticed Skittery's present and they all shared 'heys' and 'how are ya's.

Once everyone was ready, we got our papers and left. Skittery and I sold together. Not much of a surprise.

"So where were you?" I asked him as we walked.

"Aroun'. I was just suppose' ta go for a walk but I end' up stayin' at different places for a couple of days."

"Oh... okay."

"How was ya four days?" he asked. What was I supposed to say?

"It was alright." I figured lying would be the worst thing to do right now. "How about you?" I continued.

"It was alright." he says.

"I'm glad you are back." I told him softly.

"Me too." he smiles at me. I return the smile and we both finish selling our papers. We make it to Tibby's to meet up with the others. We all hung out before the Brooklyn newsies come in. Spot's eyes wander around the crowd until it lands on me. The smirk on his face quickly vanishes when he sees Skittery next to me. I could feel Skittery's grip tighten around my waist under Spot's watchful eye. Spot makes his way over to our little group and pulls over a chair right next to me. I didn't know what to say or what to do.

"So, Skittery, where have ya been for da past few days," Spot asked.

"I just visit' different places." Skittery simply replied.

Skittery's POV

I knew Spot was tryin' ta botha me. He was holdin' Bell's hand as I pratectively wrapp' me arm aroun' her. He whispered in her ear and she laughed and playfully pushed him back. I could tell he was flirtin' wit her. And she was doin' nothin' 'bout it.

I got up and walked out of Tibby's eager ta get away from dem. I can't stand lookin' at them while dey talk'. I made me way ta da lodgin' house and stayed dere. I had no desire ta be alone for da rest of da evenin' but he left me no choice. He was tryin' ta get ta me and I was lettin' him.

Soon, everyone came back. I needed ta talk ta him. I needed ta know why. So I ignored Bell on me way out and walked ta Brooklyn. Once I got dere, I made me way over ta Spot.

"What do ya want?" Spot asks in a not-so-friendly tone.

"Why? Why did ya do dat?" I asked him.

"'Cause ya were gone for four days and ya come back in and everythin' goes back ta normal. You don't desoive her." he spit at me.

"What and ya think dat ya do?" I ask him. Spot's a playa. He doesn't desoive her. He looks at me coldly as I stare back. I couldn't stand his stare. I couldn't stand how he always thinks he is betta dan everyone else.

"So ya kissed her while I was gone?"

"Yeah. And she kissed back. What are ya gonna do 'bout it?" he got ratha close ta me face. Witout thinkin', I swung me fist at him.

Bell's POV

Skittery didn't tell me where he was going. I think he was mad that I was talking to Spot. Spot is just a friend. Nothing more. I just wish he knew that.

As time ticked by, I began getting worried. I just got him back. I'm not loosing him again. I left the lodging house having an idea about where he is.

I ran to Brooklyn eager to see him and tell him that Spot and I are just friends. He needs to know before something bad happens.

I stopped in my tracks as I take in what I saw. Skittery was lying down on the ground beaten up and unconscious. Spot stood near him a bit beaten up, too.

I ran to Skittery and knelt down right next to him. I brought his head on my lap. I stroked his bruised and bloody face. I looked up to Spot.

"What did you do?" I screamed at him.

"He start' it." he blamed it on Skittery.

"I don't care who started it. You took it too far. You always take everything too far!" I yelled. I looked down at Skittery. And then back up at Spot. "What am I going to do?" I asked myself quietly. But loud enough for Spot to hear.

"Let me help ya." he held out his hand. This time I'm not taking it.

"No. You've done enough." I spit back.

"At least let me bring him ta me newsboy's lounge."

"Fine." I agreed knowing I wouldn't be able to do anything else. Spot had another boy come over to help bring Skittery in the lodging house.

I grabbed a wet cloth and cleaned his scrapes and cuts as best as I could. I wiped away the dry blood and dirt off of him. Once I finished, I moved some of his hair away from his face and kissed his forehead.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered to him even though I know he couldn't hear me.