Chapter 21

Mabel's POV

I woke up with the bustling of the newsboys lodging house as the others ran around to get ready. It's been a couple of days since I've seen Spot. Part of me hopes that he'll just barge through the door and ask for my forgiveness but I know that won't happen. As much as I hate it, I can't stay mad at him. I want to hate him but I can't. A part of me wants to go to him and still be with him while another part of me wants to cry and kick him where it hurts. Being with him just feels so right. I know I can't forget about him and I know I can't move on. I need an explanation from him more than anything right now. Maybe it will settle this dispute going on in my head about everything.

I finished selling my papers and walked towards the Brooklyn Bridge. I tried to think of what to say or what I should say. I walked a little bit further and saw him. My mind went blank and I stopped walking. He looked up and saw me.

"Mabel?" he asked. I started walking away, but he caught up to me. He grabbed my wrist and spun me around. "Mabel," he said again. I looked into his eyes and saw hurt?

"Coming here was a mistake. I'm sorry," I said trying to leave.

"Why did ya come here?" he asked.

"I don't know." he let go of my hand and I walked to the edge. I put my head in my hands. "I don't know what I'm doing anymore," I mumble to myself. He walks over next to me and leans on the fence. We stayed like that for a couple of minutes before he spoke up.

"I didn't kiss 'er," he says.

"What?"

"I didn't kiss 'er. She kissed me. Everyone thinks dat I got dis reputation, but I don't. Dey like ta come at me all da time. I don't like dem, but dey just come back every time thinkin' dat I do." he explains. He looks at me and I look back at him. I thought wrong.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"Because I care 'bout ya. I care 'bout how ya see me. Yes, I do care 'bout me reputation, but everyone's got it wrong. And I don't care 'bout any other goil, but ya. I want ya. Why can't ya see dat?" He tells me. "I don't know what's goin' through ya head right now an' I don't know what ya feeling. But I do know what I'm feeling. And I know dat I can't be witout ya." he finishes. I don't know what to say. Without thinking, I put my lips against his. His lips moved swiftly against mine as his hands wrapped around my waist pulling me closer. I put my hands around his neck and moved my head to the side to deepen the kiss. I felt sparks go off and electricity go through me. My fingers got tangled in his hair as we continued to kiss. We pulled away from the kiss to catch our breathes.

"I know what I'm feeling, too and it's real," I smile up at him which he gladly does the same. He pulls me in for a hug and I hug him back. My head leaned on his chest as he rested his head on my own. I could hear his heart beat and him breathing in and out. He kisses the top of my head before we pull away. We go back to our original positions against the fence. He wraps his arm around my waist and I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Is comin' here still a mistake?"

"No. It was the best thing I did all week," I reply sweetly. I could tell he was smiling.

We stayed like that for I don't know how long before I pulled away.

"It's getting late. I have to get back." I tell him.

"Ya don't have ta go," he says as one of his hands intertwine with mine.

"Yes, I do."

"No ya don't," he challenges. I think it over for a moment. I truly didn't want to leave.

"Maybe I could stay in Brooklyn for one night..."

A-N- sry about last chapter. I forgot to change the words for the accents... I hope you liked it!! thank you all!! love you all!!