Chapter Twenty Six: Part Two

Carter's POV:

“So how do you guys get ready for school?  Is it just like regular high school?”  Avery asked.  She was seated in the middle, right between me and Louis.  Harry was in the front, looking back at me with a smirk.  I was fuming slightly, while Louis was in heaven.  I hated sitting in the back.

He and I fought for shot gun, but Sophie told me it was best to sit next to Avery.  To get to know her better.  It’s funny because Sophie seems to be more on Harry’s side than mine.  I wonder what he did to make her think so differently of him.

 “I’ve never been to regular high school, so I’m not aware of your surroundings but I have heard that you have fake bitches there.  Brentwood is different.  We just have rich bitches that are not even trying to be bogus.  It’s quite entertaining to be honest.”  Louis kept looking at Avery. 

“She asked how we get ready for school not about the prissy bitches Lou.” Harry turned around and placed his hand on Jake’s headrest.  “We usually get ready in our dorm.  Breakfast is served at the dining hall to those that want to get up early, but I’m not a morning person so I tend to wake up ten minutes before class giving me enough time to get ready and get there before the tardy bell rings.  But Louis is out the door, by eight.  Enough time to get him and me breakfast.”  He and Louis shared a fist bump.  They’re really close to each other.  Like brothers.

“What about you Carter?”  Avery turned to look at me, her hands on her laps sitting proper and composed.  Nothing like me.

“She goes to run in the mornings.  Isn’t that right Carter?”  Harry pressed on, his lips tilting upward.  I saw Louis punch his shoulder from behind; he was signaling him to shut his mouth.

I glared at Harry, which only caused him to shoot me a stealthy grin.  Teeth and all.  Even his damn dimples.

“You’re running in the mornings?  Alone?”  Jake’s piercing blue eyes eyed me in the rear view mirror.  Harry couldn’t stop grinning.

“Actually, no.  Noah has been running with me.  He’s on the track team and he says I have a good shot at joining the girl’s track team if I try out in a couple of months.”  It was my turn to hold a smirk that matched Harry’s.  His faded away as soon as I mentioned Noah’s name.

“Isn’t he also in soccer?”  Jake asked.

“Yep.  And he sucks at it.”  Harry crossed his arms, muttering his words.

“He’s good at it.  Harry just isn’t fond of Noah.”  Louis brought himself into the conversation again.  I could see him texting from the side and I knew he was sending a message to Harry because not even five seconds later, his phone signaled that he received something.

“You don’t like your own roommate?”  Avery asked.  How does one politely tell a girl to shut the hell up?

Harry’s body went from fluid, to stone in a matter of seconds.  His lips were pursed tightly together as he shook his head.  I could see Jake turn to face Harry, maybe asking for an explanation.

“We just never got along.  I have my moments, he has his.  Louis is just in the middle.”

“And I’m fine with that.”  Louis had an ability in changing the tone of the conversation because after that, we all started to talk about something new.  Avery talked to me, mostly while Jake talked to Louis and Harry about England.

I found out that Avery’s mother and father divorced when she was thirteen.  Since her mother runs a magazine in New York City and her father is a neurologist, she never spent that much time with both of them.  She told me she saw her nanny more than her own parents and I felt for her.  My parents always made sure to have family time twice a week, whether it was watching movies or just a family dinner talking about our day, we always found a way to spend moments with each other.