Chapter Twenty One

Carter’s POV:

Every fiber in my body trembled with fear. I held onto my phone in a tight grasp while I did a full turnaround to see if he had appeared out of the dead of day. I was alone but I knew I wouldn’t be any longer than I would hope. No matter how much I wanted to scream and no matter how much my eyes prepared for tears, I knew I wasn’t going to cry. My emotions of pure anger filled my body faster than the feeling of sadness or pity for myself. My grasp around my phone clenched tighter and tighter as the tips of my fingers turned ghost white. With one swift motion I threw my phone across the pavilion. Everything felt like a blur right then and there. I didn’t even hear the sound of my phone cracking into a million pieces. It just laid there broken on the cold cemented floor. After all the times I’ve thrown my phone, it decided to break at the worst time possible.

I let out a dry laugh. How ironic.

My feet moved towards the broken electronic as I took it and saw the damage that had been done. It was definitely broken. Tiny cracks and small left over pieces of glass rubbed against my cold stiff fingers. Even though I knew my phone wasn’t responsive anymore, I still tried to make it work but not even my constant jabs would allow me to see that text message one more time. I needed to see if it was real. Maybe I was just imagining it? Maybe I was going to wake up from this hell of a nightmare.

But I wasn’t, because what stood in front of me was the bitter truth. The truth of knowing that he had finally found me no matter how far I thought I escaped him. I wanted to feel in denial of it all, oblivious of that text message but the facts beamed over me like a spotlight. The numbness in my body made everything feel so cold. Even though I felt the stinging pain of tears forming, I didn’t feel the need to cry. Why cry? It’s not going to change a damn thing. The pain was real. The text was real. But yet I didn’t want to believe any of it.

“You know I am without a doubt certain I can whoop your arse on that field any time, any day Harry. Hell I can do it in my sleep-” Louis’ voice echoed through the vacant pavilion. I turned around trying to find a pillar I could hide behind but I was already spotted. If I ran, it would raise questions or just make me look just plan immature, so I stopped dead in my tracks.

“Carter! Hey I thought you went back to class?” Harry stopped a few feet in front of me. His eyes were like facial readers. He knew something was up. Dammit.

“I wanted to look over some pictures I took-” I was interrupted when I heard a gasp escape from Louis’ big mouth.

“Holy crap Carter!” His blue eyes connected with my phone that fell from my hoodie pocket. “Who the hell would do this to a phone so precious to humanity?!” Louis’ voice screeched in pure horror while Harry’s eyes narrowed right at me. The color in his cheeks grew with anger just like mine. I took a deep breath trying to think of a way to cover up this crap of a mess.

“It was an accident. I tripped over my shoe laces and I guess my phone fell from my back pocket.” I muttered quietly, looking down at my feet. What type of lie was that?

I guess Harry caught onto my dumbass excuse, “Bullshit.” His tone was menacing. He called me on my bullshit like I had done to him once before. Payback was definitely a bitch. “You didn’t have your phone in your bum pocket when I saw you last.”

Even though I knew he would catch me on my lie, my anger grew immensely. Yes he knows about what happened with Trevor but he has no right to know more than what he already does. He shouldn’t even know about Trevor period.

“Why were you staring at her arse Harry?” Louis patted Harry’s back trying to comfort his embarrassment but there was no hint of shame masked on his face. There was only anger. Louis looked back and forth at an attempt to figure out what exactly was going on between the both of us but he soon lost interest. “You’re lucky she doesn’t take this phone from my hands and aim it at your groin just like she did a couple of days ago. By the way Carter I bow down to you for that even though it was a mere accident.” Louis smirked at Harry while handing me back my phone.