Chapter Four

I woke up the following morning with movement on my bed. “Carter wake up and get your lazy butt out of bed!” I opened my eyes and saw Spencer lying on the bed right next to me, grinning like an idiot.

“What the hell Spence? I’m tired, leave me alone!” I said while turning over and pulling the cover over my face.

“Get up Carter! You have to start shopping for your dorm!” Spence started to shake me excitedly. I turned over quickly and got up.

“Wait, rewind. What are you talking about Spencer?”

“Erm, I don’t think I should tell you exactly. Maybe I should wait for mom or Sophie to tell y-”

“Spencer Louise! What the hell are you talking about!? You better tell me now or I will tell mom about the time you snuck out on that Friday night to go to-”

“Shut the hell up Carter! You promised you wouldn’t tell!” She said while covering my mouth. I slobbered all over her hand so I could talk.

“Well tell me exactly what you meant about shopping for my dorm!” I said as she gave me a disgusted face.

“First of all, eww! Second of all, fine. Sophie called the school early this morning and talked to the dean. She told him about your excellent resume and all your afterschool activities. When she mentioned your GPA he said something like ‘We’ll be happy to accept her at Brentwood! She’ll be welcomed with open arms!’ He also said other things but I ran up to my room and did my happy screech but mom came up and told me to shut the hell up. After Sophie finished talking to the dean, her, mom and William went to get Starbucks. Jake’s asleep and my god I forgot how badly he snores! I swear-”

Spencer kept talking about Jake and his snoring and I heard bits and pieces of how she will turn my room into a dance studio but I could not process what she said about my admission status to Brentwood. I am admitted into a boarding school, something I thought was only in movies. I will be going to the U.K. to finish my senior year. I should be screaming and jumping for joy, but I was in complete shock. I will be able to walk around without having to hear, ‘That girl over there, she’s Portland High’s new slut’ or ‘That’s the girl that tried to bag her boyfriend’s best friend’. I will be free from all the gossip and crappy comments about me. I will finally feel safe and out of Trevor’s grasp.

“Carter? Why are you crying?” Spencer gave me a confused look, she looked concerned.  I realized my cheeks and eyes were wet.

“I-I didn’t even realize I was crying Spence… I guess I’m crying because I’m happy I will finally be away from it all.” I let the last bit of tears fall and gave Spencer a smile. “See, I’m finally smiling!” She laughed and gave me a tight hug.

“I’m going to miss you so much Carter. I don’t know what I will do without you, I mean, who’s going to help me when mom wakes up in the middle of the night screaming dad’s name? We both are always there for her, wiping away her tears and holding her in our arms to make sure she knew we were there and everything was alright. I-I can’t do it alone Carter. Jake’s going to leave at the end of summer and you are going to be across the Atlantic, thousands of miles away. You’re my best friend Carter, the person I always go to when I have problems with my friends, you’re the only person I can talk to about the guys I like and you’re the only person that I can steal clothes from. Mom’s clothes are…different.” I chuckled and looked at her. She had fresh tears falling from her sea green eyes. Her expression told me she was worried and terrified but at the same time, I knew she was happy for me.

“Spence, I will always be there for you. I may not be here with you, but I am always a phone call away. I know that it will be hard, being the only one here to help mom out when she has those dreams of dad, but I know that she will get through it. I miss dad so much but before he died, remember he asked us to make him a promise? He said that even though he will not be with us, we must continue our life as if he was standing right beside us and a part of me knows he is always right beside me, not physically but spiritually and remember we promised we would keep his vow. He taught us to be strong and independent and I know that this summer, I haven’t been that strong, but I will be and it will take time. When mom has those dreams, make sure to not scare her, just gently wake her up and hold her, telling her everything will be alright. If you want, you can call me and I’ll talk to her. But Spence, I know that you are strong enough to handle it all, heck, at times I know you are stronger than I am! You were strong at the funeral and you helped me get through those crappy days by just making me smile and if you have any problems with your friends or you just want to talk about boys, remember I am a phone call away. If anybody gives you problems at school, ignore them and if it gets worse, just remember that Jake and I come home for holidays and we will kick some ass. But on the clothes…they are mine, no touchy the clothes!” I jumped off the bed and knelt down on the edge to see Spencer. She had tear stains on her cheeks but she had a small smile. “I love you Spence and I will protect you from everything and anything. Just remember that.”