Chapter Three

After talking to Sophie, my mom told me she was excited to stay with me and was bringing William, her fiancé, while my sister and mom went to NYC to pick up Jake. While my mom spent the mornings and afternoons at the hospital, my sister and I spend the day just laying by the pool, watching tv or on the internet.

My mom told me that she didn't want to go back to work with my sister and I alone, but we reassured her we would be fine. Every ten minutes my mom would call us to make sure we were okay and if she was in surgery, she would get her secretary to call us. I felt like a caged animal being watched with every step I took. The only thing I had a say in was what I could wear, but even that didn't matter.

I didn't want to go to summer school, in fear that everybody would stare and call me names of things that I was not. It has been a week and a half since that night, and ever since then I've had dreams and replays of what went on. I had continuous dreams of Trevor actually getting what he wanted and dreams were he killed me and had sex with my lifeless body and every time, I would wake up sweaty and screaming in terror.

I've called Emma countless times, but I would always get her voicemail. I was afraid the rumors Trevor and Mason made up, got to her but she was my best friend. She knew what type of person I am.

-

"Carter, Spence and I are packed. We will be back in three days and Sophie called saying she will be here with Will in a couple of minutes. We can stay and wait with you-"

"No mom, I'm fine. You said she will be here in a couple of minutes so don't worry."

"Carter, it's a mother's job to worry."

"Well please don't worry about me too much..." I told my mom but she turned around and got her purse, ignoring what I had said.

"I'll be calling you ever so often, so have your phone next to you at all times. I laid some clothes for you in the guest room so you won't have to hop up stairs and get them. Make sure when I leave, the doors are locked. I love you Carter." Her eyes began to tear up as she gave me a tight hug.

"No mom, don't cry! I'll be fine, I promise! Sophie and William will be here soon and I will stay in the guest room and watch TV or read, so I'll be occupied. I love you guys and make sure to call me when you get there!"

"Love you Carter, I'll send you pictures!" I laughed as my sister tried to make me feel better. Looking at my sisters light green eyes, I saw sadness. I didn't want to see her depressed or scared because of me, I cared about her, not only because she's my sister but because she means everything to me. She may be a pain at times but she always knows when to make me feel better. When our dad died, she was the one that was able to make me smile. Jake was there to protect us taking the 'man of the house' title to the extreme at times, but Spence was there making me remember all the good times we had with our dad. She was the only person to keep me sane.

"Thanks Spence." I gave her a smile and a tight hug, "Make sure to call me okay?"

"Okay I love you, Carter." Spencer said while giving me a hug.

"I love you Carter. Remember to have your phone with you!" Giving my mom another hug I told her not to worry again, I was going to be alright.

-

As soon as Spencer and my mom had left, I locked the door behind me and checked my phone. One message was from Sophie telling me her and Will were stuck in traffic and should be here in the next hour. I put my phone down on the kitchen counter while I poured myself a cup of hot coffee. Carefully walking towards the guest bedroom, I grabbed the latest book I was reading from off the shelf and closed the door behind me. I turned on the music from my iPod and began to read. After ten minutes I forgot to check my phone for any missed calls from my mom or Sophie. Looking for my phone on the bed, I forgot I left it on the kitchen counter. I rose from the bed and heard glass brake.