Chapter 12: Never Learning

Alex's POV:

"I-I don't know what to say..." I stutter, feeling everyone's gaze on me. I squirm uncomfortably on my couch and feel something touch my hand in my lap. I slowly look up and meet Lindsey's worried eyes and she gives me an encouraging smile.

"What about you start from the beginning?" She says in her soft voice and I tilt my head down again, my hair falling down to shield my face.

"I don't think I can do that..." I whisper, tears threatening to build up in my eyes.

"Why not?" Patricia chimes in and I shake my head slowly.

"I can't tell", I say, trying to keep my voice as steady as possible. I don't even know if there is any point in telling them everything or not. They already know Nick has been texting me but as far as I know, they are still in the dark when it comes to the fact that Nick goes to my school and knows where I live.

"Is he really back?" Lindsey asks, "I mean, have you met him or is it just the messages?" I remain silent. I want to tell them, I really do. I'm so close to lifting such a heavy weight from my chest but yet it feels like I am so far away.

Three words. That's all I have to say. He is back. It would only take a second, maybe two, and then it would be over. Then I wouldn't be able to take it back. Three words.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly part my lips to speak but just as I am about to utter those words, my throat sticks together and no sound comes out.

Parker sighs loudly and reaches his hand into his pocket, picking up my phone he kept since we left the laser dome.

"We've all read the messages, Alex", he sighs, "and it looks like he is back for real."

Maybe because he is, I think for myself. Luckily, they don't know it for sure because Nick hasn't written anything that clearly shows that he is in town but you would still guess that he is back. Now, my two choices are to tell them the truth already or try to convince them a lie.

"C'mon, Allie", Patricia pleads, "we're your friends. You can tell us, we won't judge you or do anything you don't want us to."

I take a shaky breath to gain confidence.

"You promise?" I ask her, "you promise that none of you will do anything about it unless I want you to?"

Lindsey's lips curl downwards and I know that she doesn't like what I am doing, negotiation and making them promise me not to do as I know they would without the promise. Lindsey would want to run straight to the police after hearing that Nick is back but she also knows how important promises are for me. They all know and that is the reason to why all of them are looking slightly bothered right now.

"I promise", Parker says after a while and Patricia nods slowly, saying "me too".

Everyone, including me, turns their eyes towards Lindsey and she meets my eyes, trying to silently beg me to not make her promise. I don't budge and she finally gives in.

"Fine, I promise", she mutters and a small wave of triumph washes over me before I remember that I should tell them now.

"You're right", I say after a few seconds of silence, "he's back."

Lindsey gives out a shocked sound and I continue. "I... I've met him. More than once."

I look around at all of them and it feels like they are all small children listening to a fairytale and me, the storyteller.

"He... he goes to my school and... and he is also the reason to why Nathaniel broke up with me."

"Oh my... " Lindsey whispers and pulls me towards her into a hug, "I am so sorry. I didn't know it was this bad." I smile weakly at her and for some reason, it feels like she is more upset about this than I am.

"I'm fine, Lindsey", I say calmly, not wanting to bother my friends more than I already am.

"N-no, you're not", Lindsey says, tears glistening in her eyes. "He threatened you, he used me to get to you", she cries, thinking about one of the messages where he told me that more than Lindsey's hair could be red if I didn't do as he wanted. I shudder at the memory.

"But we are fine", I say and slip my arms around her. Lindsey takes a hold onto my back and it feels like she's crushing me and I feel her tears wetting my tank top.

"Why are you even crying?" I ask her, "shouldn't it be the reversed? Me crying and you comforting me?"

Lindsey pulls back slightly to look me in the eye.

"It should", she says, "but I'm not as good as you when it comes to hiding and control my emotions, you know that. I can't help it. You don't deserve any of this. You are my best friend, Alex, and I know you inside and out. If someone doesn't deserve this at all, it's you. I still remember the day they came to the school", she sobs, "it was the worst day in my life. Y-you were so brave and tried to get everyone into the changing room even though it leads to you being left behind. You even h-helped me when that guy grabbed me and you ended up being pointed at with a gun. I will never forget the sight of you being lead away by N-Nick. I-I thought I had lost you..."

I stare at Lindsey, a tear slowly rolling down my cheek.

"Lindsey..." I whisper, "I'm here, okay? You haven't lost me, no one has."

"But what if I will?" she says and takes a deep breath, "what if Nick will take you away again? I don't like the fact that he is here, Alex. You have to tell the police before it's too late."

"She's right", Parker sig "you really should tell the police."

I shake my head fiercely. "No, they can't know about Nick", I say, "no one can."

"But we do", Patricia points out and I turn my head in her direction.

"Yes, you do", I say slowly, "and let's keep it that way. Nick can't, under any circumstances, know about this, got it?"

Nick's POV:

I clench my teeth together and furiously slam my fist into the wall, causing a few pieces of gypsum plaster to fall out along with a cloud of white dust.

"Dammit!" I scream straight out in anger and look down at my fist. Blood starts to pour down my hand from my knuckles.

I hiss at the sudden pain and stomp back to the computer settled in the corner of the room.

"So, I can't know about this, huh?" I mutter to myself as I stare at the small screen showing Alex's living room. She's sitting there, unaware of the fact that I overheard her whole conversation, thinking she's safe for the moment.

She wasn't supposed to tell anyone, she knew that, but still, she's sitting there in her house, telling her friends everything.

If she thinks this will go by unnoticed, she's fucking wrong. That little **** is going to get it. I've been way too nice with her and if this is what I get back for it, I'm done. If her brain is incapable of learning the gentler way, I have to roughen it up.

I stride over to my closet and carelessly pull out the middle drawer, throwing all my clothes onto the floor as I search for what I know lies in the bottom at the back. I pick up the black gun and make sure that it's loaded before I put it in the waistband of my jeans and storm out of the building.