Chapter 27 - War, what is it good for?

When everyone has calmed down a little from the baby news, I continue my speech. “So basically that brings everyone up-to-date, or at least up to the past few days. When we got back from Alaska we started having, Vinnie, who happens to be a robot it you haven’t already had the opportunity to meet him, start scanning the news for any indications of warlock type activity.

“What he found led us to New Bedford, Massachusetts, and the newest addition to our family, Elan,” I say holding my hand out to him. “As I am sure you all know he is a Kapre, and because of the way uniques have treated his kind in the past he was led astray by the warlocks. They told him we planned to kill him and in fear he helped them by creating havoc around town to get our attention.

“Once he knew what was really happening he confessed to me and came up with a plan to help defeat the warlocks that were in town. His plan worked great and another batch of warlocks have been disposed of. He came back with us to help even more and I am happy to say he has agreed to be our secret weapon in the war.”

“So there is no way to prevent the war from happening?” a man asks. I really wish they would get nametags that had their names and what they were on them.

“He is Brad the wolverine leader,” Nate tells me mentally before switching to speaking out loud. “I don’t think so. This lead warlock has seen the prophecy and is for sure Avery is going to be the end of his kind. The only way for it to be stopped is for either him or Avery to die and I can tell you right now, I will not allow her to be killed.”

 The man holds his hands up. “I was not suggesting that. To suggest such a thing would be pretty much sacrilege. She is our leader and no one here wishes her harm. I was just trying to confirm there wasn’t a peaceful option available before committing my people to the cause.”

“We will always try to find a way not to kill anybody, but the way I see it is if they raise their hand against my sister, their lives are forfeit,” Rick says in an authoritative voice.

“Great, so how soon before I can get into one of the training sessions?” the wolverine asks. Thinking back, I know I haven’t mentioned those yet, so I stare at the guy. “Sorry, you would have forgotten that I am telepathic too. I knew where this meeting was headed yesterday when I came for a visit.”

“Thanks for the explanation. I was starting to think my brother had been running his big mouth,” I say with a smile. “The training brings us back to Elan. We were planning on starting training sessions with the local wolves, since we have their leader living here, this week. The training is going to be a lot better with Elan providing real life simulations for us, that way our people can get used to fighting against warlocks and not actually be hurt in the process. Anyone who wants the training is welcome to come stay with us for a couple weeks and go through the process, even if you are not planning to help fight.

“It will start out with one of us going over self-defense and the basics of fighting. We also have portions that will teach how to avoid being hit by flying energy balls and basic weaponry. We have started to stockpile some meatier ammunition that will hopefully never have to be used, but we are good boy scouts and want to be prepared.

“The other service Elan is going to provide is that of a spy. The next time we find a group of warlocks we will grab one of them and send Elan back in that persons place. We will be able to find out more of their plans and be in a better position to fight against them.”

“Is there a sign up for the training?”

“Of course we will fight with you.”

“I definitely want in that training.”

“What other plans are in the works?”

Everyone starts shouting things at once. Nate raises his hands and that calms people right down.