Chapter 20 - Time is a very curious thing

“Don’t be such a party pooper,” she says as soon as we get a ways away from everyone else. She leads me back into the circus tent where we can have a private conversation.

“What are you talking about, and what was all that about being my high school buddy?” I ask. “I don’t really know you.” I kind of feel like yelling ‘Stranger Danger’ just for fun. I bet she would get a kick out of it.

“Avery Clavens, one more lie like that and I will find a way to make your nose grow like Pinocchio’s,” she lectures me as I reach for my nose to protect it.

Not knowing what to say in this situation, I just stare at her. I am still thinking of the whole time continuum thing so the ball is totally in her court.

“Like I said the other day, you are always good for a laugh,” she says smiling. “I know you know who I am. We were just reintroduced the other day my fiery friend.”

“You know it’s really me?” I ask. “How are you actually here with me? I didn’t know you had the ability to go back in time.”

“Of course I know it is you, and it seems you have gotten yourself into another pickle. It’s a nasty spell that warlock threw at you,” she says shaking her head. “As to how I am here, let’s just say us fates don’t let a little thing like a timeline keep us from having fun.”

“So this isn’t one of my usual flashbacks?” I ask.

“Sorry no, I did all I could to make it a little bit more enjoyable than originally intended. The original spell had you going back to being a baby and reliving the same day over and over a la Groundhog’s Day. Can you imagine how horrific that would be? I guess the idea was if he couldn’t kill you, he would just incapacitate you, or maybe he was hoping you would somehow die of boredom being trapped in a baby’s body,” she says.

“That doesn’t sound like a lot of fun. So what actually happened and what am I doing here?” I ask.

“I couldn’t totally undo the spell, so I brought you back here to the day we met at your tenth birthday party until help can arrive,” she says.

“I guess this is mildly better than being a baby, but why don’t I remember this ever happening?” I ask. She keeps explaining things, and the explanations just seem to make me have more questions.

“That would be my doing as well. When you didn’t remember me the first time around on this day, I choose to wipe anything that would remind you of me from your mind. It was apparent to me you weren’t ready to know about your other lives just yet, so I did a total mind sweep of the day,” she explains.

“I think I should thank you for that. I am pretty sure I would have been one messed up kid if I had to remember this day,” I tell her.

“Just think, it is actually only halfway over,” she says in her overly cheery voice.

“You know I think I might actually hate you,” I say jokingly. “So how long do you think I am stuck in here?”

“I cannot say for sure. You shouldn’t have to relive the day more than once though,” she responds.

“Oh you better hope that is true. I was actually thinking I forgot this day on purpose. I don’t want to be stuck reliving it over and over,” I say.

“Like I said, probably only the once. Things like this are hard to predict. So what should we do with the rest of the day? As you may have noticed, we are actually in control of our bodies. As long as you hit the major events of the day, we should be able to have a little fun,” she says with her evil smile.