Chapter 22 - The jerk chapter

Feeling where Nate is, I make my way in his direction. I see him standing talking to a person that I can only see the back of. When Nate sees me he smiles and waves me over. The man he is talking to turns so I can see his face.

“Oh my God, Jimmy!” I yell running over to give him a hug. “What in the world are you doing here?”

“Hey, pretty lady,” he says hugging me back. “Where did the shy, timid girl I remember go?”

“I have been spending too much time with Nate,” I reply stepping back and standing next to Nate. “So again I ask, why are you here?”

“Your brother called and told me to get my butt to New York. Didn’t sound like I had much of an option,” he responds.

“But if you are here for the meeting, that means,” I say trailing off.

“That I am not human. You would be correct. I would be the leader of the fox groups,” he replies looking at me questioningly.

“Shut up,” I say smacking him. “You gave me some sob story about your parents dying of cancer. You are such a jerk.”

“Well you pretended to be a college student,” he counters. “It’s not like you didn’t already know otherwise.”

“Of course I didn’t know and they are totally not the same thing. I was undercover for one, and two I told almost all truths. You told a bunch of lies. Is Julie even your sister?” I ask.

“Yes she really is my sister, and was really kidnapped and the case itself actually really happened. We both just pretended to be things that weren’t really true,” he answers.

“You were so scared Julie would get shot, but the bullet was never really a threat to her,” I say.

“No it wouldn’t have killed her, but it would have hurt like hell. You have been shot before. How good did that feel?” he asks.

“You are still a jerk,” I say smiling. “That being said how is my friend Ettie working out? She told me she ended up taking a job with you.”

“Real well. She has an amazing brain in between those ears of hers,” he replies.

“Good, you better be treating her well or you will be answering to me,” I say turning to Nate. “I assume being the supreme leader that you already knew who Jimmy was the entire investigation.”

“I knew who he was yes, I didn’t know how he was involved and I didn’t want to ruin the case so I pushed you to be the lead undercover person,” he tells me.

“It looks like jerk is going to be my word of the day. What time is it anyway?” I ask still not really oriented from being out for days.

“It is morning, so you have the full day to utilize your word of the day,” Nate answers.

“Good where did Rick go to? I am sure he has done something jerky within the last five minutes,” I say.

“He is entertaining some of our other guests. The big meeting won’t be until tomorrow, and Jimmy wanted to get a chance to say hi without everyone else around,” Nate says.

“I also wanted to pledge my support for any decision you end up making during this conference,” Jimmy says.

“Are you sure? We may be suggesting that we kill all first born children,” I tell him.

“I know you well enough to know that is not the case. Even if you have stepped out of your shell, I doubt you have turned to the dark side, young Obi Wan,” he says.