Chapter 8 - In magic, the learning curve is steep

Trey and Sean are actually floating in the air and seem to be unable to move. I take out my phone and start taking pictures. This is just too good not to document.

“Do you have to do that?” Sean asks. Apparently their lips aren’t frozen like the rest of their bodies.

“Sorry, but no one is going to believe me otherwise,” I reply snapping a few more photos.

“Be careful where you step. We triggered something as we walked into the room,” Trey says.

“Any suggestions on how to get them down?” I ask finally putting the phone away.

“There is only one way I can think of and I am guessing it is going to hurt,” Rick says.

“I really wish there was another way, but you are right,” Nate agrees with whatever idea Rick is thinking up. I am sure the guys won’t mind a little pain if it allows them to get free. “It’s not them that is going to feel the pain, sweetie. We need you to say a spell to release them and it would be nice if you can figure out one that will keep any other booby traps from attacking us.”

“Oh is that all. A little headache shouldn’t be that bad. Give me a second to think up something,” I tell them. I haven’t done any spells for a couple days now so maybe that will limit how bad the headache is.

“I bet you wish you had that rhyming book right about now,” Rick taunts me.

“Whatever big brother. Stuck they are, but that is not how we want them to be; release them from this magic, and clear the house of anything we cannot see,” I say. I see Trey and Sean fall to the ground right before a force of energy hits me. I feel myself fly backwards right before I black out.

“Well that was just silly,” I hear Eva say. Didn’t we already talk today, why in the world am I back here? “Because you were going to be passed out for a while anyway. I just grabbed you before you were totally out.”

 “Why would I have been passed out?” I ask. I open my eyes and look around to see I am back in the void. Eva has found herself a chair and is sitting there smiling at me. I am still finding it hard to believe me and her are friends of any kind.

“Because you didn’t take proper precautions when you tried to disarm someone else’s spell. You really are wet behind the ears when it comes to this magic stuff. You are lucky that I decided it was time for us to have another little talk, otherwise right now you would be just plain boring, lying there blacked out,” she says.

“Didn’t you say everything you needed to say earlier today?” I ask.

“Well yeah, but that was all business. I have missed you over the years and I thought we could play catch up now,” she says getting excited and clapping her hands together.

“Has anyone ever told you how weird you are?” I ask. I know it isn’t exactly nice, but this lady is missing a big hunk of something between her ears.

She laughs. “Oh Avery, you were always good for a laugh. Let’s see what can we talk about? I figure your physical body will need to rest for at least twenty minutes after a blast that strong.”

“So am I not really here?” I ask. “The way you just said that sounded like my body is still back in the house with the guys.”

“That is true this time. Last time you were all here, this time you are kind of just a holograph of yourself,” she explains. I hold out my arms and they seem real enough to me.

“So I am basically here to amuse you while my body recovers from the blast?” I am not sure whether to be happy about this or not.

“I would be happy,” she says. I was just complaining to Nate about reading my mind, and he wasn’t anywhere as bad as Eva. “Yeah sorry about that, I am not really reading your mind so much as I can just hear everything like it is spoken out loud. Anyway, I don’t get to make contact with non-deities very often and without you around the last few decades it has been very boring.”