Chapter 24 - A secret agent is only as good as their weapons

“Omar!” I yell running towards and wrapping my arms around him. “What are you doing here and what name are you currently going by?”

“It’s Charles these days and Dad gave me the low down on what you guys are planning and we agreed that someone with my knowledge of uniques might come in handy,” he says. “Plus, now that you remember who I am, I am one of only two of your children you actually get to see.”

“I am sure the other three have no problem being out of touch with me,” I tell him.

“You are joking right? We didn’t all go crazy like Dad after your resurrection malfunction, but it wasn’t any easier on us kids. Just like every other phoenix in the world, when you were gone our hearts were missing,” he says. “The sooner you can remember the rest of them, the better it will be for all of our sanity.”

“You guys really think you are phoenixes?” Nadine asks. I forgot all about her.

“Of course we are,” Charles answers. It is going to take me a while to remember the new name. “I can prove it to you if you would like. Unlike the rest of my family, I have the ability to change without losing my clothes.” I remember seeing him do it before, so I know he speaks the truth.

“If you wouldn’t mind,” Nadine says.

“Sure. I haven’t changed for a little while so it is probably a good thing,” he says stepping back and creating his fire wall. Within a second a striking phoenix appears in his place. He must come from good genes, I think to myself.

He does a couple laps around the room as Nadine stairs in awe. When he is done showing off he lands next to me and changes back.

“I am sorry, Nadine, I was so busy catching up that I forgot to introduce you two when he came in. Nadine, I would like you to meet my eldest son Charles, Charles this is Nadine. She is a sorceress that is helping me understand my new abilities,” I say.

“Nice to meet you Nadine,” Charles says reaching out his hand to shake. Nadine though is frozen in place with her mouth hanging open. “Did you say some kind of spell to freeze her, Mom?”

“No, I think she is just star struck. Hopefully it will wear off soon,” I reply. “Let me get a good look at you.” I turn him to face me and inspect him. He has short, brown goofily styled hair and his daddy’s brown eyes. Even though he is fully grown he has youth look to his features.

“Stop it Mom, you will embarrass me in front of your frozen friend,” he says trying to step away from me.

“Wow,” Nadine says. Her brain must having finally processed what she just saw. “You really are phoenixes. No one is ever going to believe this.”

“I would caution you on telling anyone else what you know until we give you the okay,” I say. “It isn’t currently common knowledge that we even exist and at least for a little while longer we would like to keep it that way.”

“Oh, of couse. I just really cannot believe I am actually in a house owned by phoenixes. This is totally a dream come true,” she says. It is kind of an odd feeling when an elderly lady goes all groupie on you.

“Nadine if you don’t mind me asking, just how old are you?” I ask.

“I am one hundred and twenty years old. I won’t live forever like you guys, but as a sorceress I have a few extra years compared to a normal human,” she replies. That makes the groupie comparison even creepier.

“Well I don’t know about you guys, but I haven’t eaten in days and am getting hungry. Why don’t we head upstairs and see if there is anything to eat,” I say grabbing Charles and heading for the door. I leave Nadine behind to follow if she chooses.