Chapter 9 - Only PG-13 fairy tales allowed

“It’s funny you should say that because for once I do actually know,” I reply as I try to sit up, but he wraps his arms around me keeping me in place.

“Probably shouldn’t move around too much just yet. You have been out for twenty five minutes,” he says.

“Fine, but I am pretty sure I have recovered. I just learned a new lesson, one that I am for sure going to remember and ask Nadine about when we go to visit her,” I tell him.

“And if you would be so kind to enlighten me on this mysterious lesson, that would be greatly appreciated,” he says.

“Sure. Eva says that there are certain precautions one should make when disarming another person’s spells. I didn’t know that, so when I said my own spell I got a blast from, I guess, an energy release or something. She didn’t exactly explain what hit me,” I explain.

“So you got a visit from your new best friend, Eva, again. Are you sure she isn’t the one that caused the blast? How much do you really know about her?” he questions.

“Just slightly more than you do. She was actually showing me a memory of the first time we met. I am pretty sure we were in Greece at the time and my name was Catherine. I know that isn’t really a big help since I seem to pick similar names all the time. Anyway, I was walking through a market and she came up to me and started talking. Just before I woke up we were headed to some lake,” I inform him.

“That’s who this Eva person is?” he questions. It must be nice to be given a couple details about a day that happened probably two thousand years ago and be able to remember it like yesterday. “I found you two running through the lake naked. She didn’t give me her name, just said she would find you later and you were all secretive about who she was.”

Now I am kind of happy that I woke up early. I don’t want to know what Eva said to get me to do something crazy like that. I am really hoping that it was a very, very secluded lake.

“Please tell me you are joking,” I beg. “And please tell me that isn’t something I did often.”

He starts laughing when he looks down and sees the pained expression on my face. I elbow him in the side for his evilness.

“I wouldn’t say often is the right word, but you were never afraid to go skinny dipping with the proper company. By proper company, of course, I mean me. That time with your friend Eva was the only time I found you trying it out with someone else,” he tells me. “In fact, the other ten times I found you two together you were always up to something and you would never tell me who she was. I would always let it go because we tried never to argue, but I am glad to finally know who your friend is.”

“She said you had seen her in passing, but neglected to mention it was catching us doing silly stuff,” I say making a mental note to deal with her later. “What happened while I was out? I remember Sean and Trey being released, but that is the last thing that imprinted in my mind.”

“We got to watch you fly three feet and hit a wall before sliding down it,” Rick says joining us in the room. “Totally wished I had the video camera rolling for that one.”

“Not the most joyous thing for a fiancé to have to watch,” Nate adds. “After that, I brought you up here while the others searched the house for any clues.”

“Please tell me you found a signed confession and the exact location where we can pick up the wolves,” I say.

“Not exactly,” Nate says. “There was a note that said the wolves were not currently harmed more than what their struggles caused and that they would meet us in two days in a location they will decide on later.”